🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

books about sound synthesis

Started by
3 comments, last by UnshavenBastard 22 years ago
Hallo there! I know... "can you recommend me books on..." threads are not very popular... But I did STW, and these are really hard to find. I''d like to program software synthesizers that are useful for making music with, like those "virtual analogs" a la VAZ, AXS etc. Can any of you recommend me books that help to get enough knowledge to do this? Basic theory about sound synthesis, books with bias to software implementation are prefered, well, HW synths are interesting, too, and I know basic electronic stuff, but I''m not that rich, and only the book will be expensive enough, I suppose... (are there books <= $100 ?? what I saw at amazon is not what I exactly was looking for, and far from affordable) I''m not completely new to sound programming in general. I did my own sound mixer and a kind of "music engine", to play songs in a way similar to FT2, S3M etc., it was fast enough to run with a 3D graphics engine. What I''m looking for is really books that explain the theory how to model sounds. Thanks in advance, Steve
Advertisement
How did you STW? What phrases did you use?

Try:

"DSP book"

in Google

Post Script: a funny thing: you can type in www.googel.com or www.gooogle.com and voila! - you always arrive at www.google.com.

Gonna go and experiment some more...

Crispy

edit: and add an http:// to a link... brrr

[edited by - crispy on June 19, 2002 5:23:12 PM]
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Unfortunately, synthesis books tend to be very expensive; however I can recommend a few [ too lazy to link em though ]:

The Computer Music Tutorial - Curtis Roads
Computer Music - Dodge + Jerse
The CSound Book - Richard Boulanger

If I would recommend one book, it would be the Curtis Roads one. Kinda pricy, but you get a heck of a lot for that. Otherwise, the Dodge + Jerse book contains a pretty hefty subset of this, but for a lot less.

Online resources:
The DSP Guide
PortAudio
The Music DSP source code archive

Enjoy!

[Edit - Fixed stupid url error. Cheers LessBread ]

[edited by - Colin Barry on June 20, 2002 5:10:38 AM]
Check your links!

Music-DSP source code archive

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

thankyou guys!

I''ll check this out. Just downloading some chapters
of the dsp book...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement