🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why are most American game companies horrible at character design

Started by
1 comment, last by AngelStar 24 years, 3 months ago
Can somebody please answer this question for me?
Advertisement
Hi AngelStar!

C is the best language, because the syntax is the most free one but also precise. I don''t know an other language which has a better structure than C.

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA @ Rarebyte
Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.stGA
I think many people tend to focus on the technology rather than the character design. For even that matter, we tend to focus on story rather than character, which is the whole reason for the story. This is something that my fledgling group will hopefully address someday. I think character design is of utmost importance and to truly immerse the player, they have to have an emotional attachment to the character so they are compelled to live vicariously through that character and want to solve that character''s problem.

How come we don''t play games and sit back and wonder why we were touched by the emotional experience of the game. Movie producers can do this. I know, I know... movies are passive and linear. But I still beleive we can touch the player in many ways including music, sound, character movement and facial expressions, etc. etc. ...

You have to make all these things work together so that the player can identify with the charcter of the game. I want my (hopefully future) players to feel a sense of loss if their character dies or encounters pain in any way (not necissarily physical pain) rather than saying "Oh well, killed again, glad I saved the game"

Just my thoughts.
L8R

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement