🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Background Music

Started by
2 comments, last by JimboC 21 years, 11 months ago
I was wondering what you guys are doing for background music in your games. I''m working on a very small arcade game type project that I intend to distribute (for the first time) as freeware. I was thinking of making background music myself, but basically I decided that I don''t want to spend the time on something that most people would probably turn off anyway. So then I started thinking that I would include the ability to play a users audio CDs or MP3s in the background while playing the game. Have you guys done anything like this? Which format should I use, or should I code for both and give the player the option? Or should I take the time and pound out a couple of tunes on the guitar and include that instead? I''m using DirectX so I could use DirectShow to decode the MP3s and CD audio doesn''t seem that tough, so I don''t see much problem with either. The sound effects in the game use .wav files if that matters in any way.
Advertisement
I think CD audio is a great way to go. I have the option in my Pong game, and it was extremely easy to do through FMOD. MP3 playback is also a very good option, but it will probably be a little harder to put together.
I have connections with 5 beginning rock/metal bands who all need any publicity they can get. For my next project I intent to work with one of them to create some nice background metal music. It''s always good to know musicians. I know a *lot* of them. You probabely do as well. Aks them If they are interested in producing some background music!

Sander Maréchal
[Lone Wolves Production][Articles][E-mail]

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Our company, J Squared Productions, makes music professionally, and we need exposure too.

www.jsquaredproductions.com

"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can''t."

Just3D
Justin Nordin
J Squared Productions
www.jsquaredproductions.com
"There are only three types of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't."Just3DJustin NordinJ Squared Productionswww.jsquaredproductions.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement