🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What publishers look for

Started by
10 comments, last by hello2k1 21 years, 11 months ago
Based on your previous posts, it sounds like this is your first project, but correct me if I''m wrong. If this is the case, I would suggest that you and your development team work on a smaller scale project that you think could be finished in less than a year. In your second post you say that working on a 3-4 year project without a publisher is a wasted effort. This suggests to me that you are looking for funding. You could work on this "smaller" game next to your fulltime occupation, costing you just about nothing. Then, when you are done, you can pitch the game to a budget publisher of some sort (check out the forum FAQ), or sell it via the shareware distribution method yourself. Not only will you generate an income (assuming that a publisher accepts your project), you will also have a piece of work that you can show a bigger publisher should you eventually hope to go full-time and receive funding.
--------------------Help Needed!Turn-based 20th century strategy wargameTitle still to be determined
Advertisement
Put simply "less but better" is the way to go. Whatever you show should work properly and be of as high a quality as possible. Many of the people that will be involved in deciding if your product gets signed will have no understanding of development (marketing and sales people). If they see a crude demo they will assume a crude game. This film trailer.

For more on this and the various bits of paperwork you will need read this http://www.obscure.co.uk/the_pitch.shtml

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement