🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Real Bad News.

Started by
14 comments, last by Marsc 21 years, 10 months ago
Hi!

I think too that nobody will post a software at download.com if it costs 99$.
Perhaps some shareware authors and big companies will submit software to download.com, but nobody will pay the money to have a free game listed.

McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
Advertisement
This htread would be really intersting if you guys listed the sites that have generated the best sales for you.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
download.com is going to lose traffic with this new policy, and other smaller shareware sites will have to "eat" that traffic.
And I guess we should analize this.
Does download.com generate sales?. It generates a lot of downloads, no doubt about this, but what about sales.
In my particular case, Download.com itself didn''t generate more than $99 p/m in sales.
As a mather of fact, many developers say that their sales are $100 a month.... They are surely listed at download.com
And I know about this point because until now, I didn''t do it better my self
Why should I work for giving the money I get to CNet.
Well.... It makes no sense....
If Download.com is the only way to distribute software, In my case, I better turn off the PC, and turn on the TV, or go away with my friends. And I get into another bussines.
I would be willing to pay $15, $20, but $99 sounds crazy.
My intuition tells me that Filemine.com is one of the sites that will become very popular.
It is one of the sites that generated a decent traffic to me.

It''s not $99 a month just to have your software listed, it''s $99 to post which means that you just have to make enough sales to justify spending $99. If you have good quality software and you price your software appropriately, $99 shouldn''t be an issue. If you have a habit of throwing crap out there and you get lots of downloads but no sales, then you''re going to have a problem.

It sucks for free stuff, but for shareware, download.com is just an internet billboard for shareware. You''re paying for advertising.

Mark Fassett
Laughing Dragon Entertainment
http://www.laughing-dragon.com

Mark Fassett

Laughing Dragon Games

http://www.laughing-dragon.com

I have to agree with LaughingD. If you''re actually making money off your game to begin with, this is a great thing because it means people will be able to find your game more easily. Hence more downloads, and hence you make more money.
Sadly, the $99 is only the basic processing. The have several plans you can pay for

http://upload.com.com/1200-21-949840.html?tag=txt

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The weather is cool, and there are grey clouds covering the sky. Or at least I wish the weather was like that.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________The weather is cool, and there are grey clouds covering the sky. Or at least I wish the weather was like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement