🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Storytelling

Started by
1 comment, last by FlawedLogic 21 years, 7 months ago
What''s the best way to tell a story? Present tense, past tense... future? Also, what point of view should be used? I believe the narrative is currently the most popular though I''ve heard and enjoyed stories told from the first or third person point of view.
------------- FlawedLogic-------------
Advertisement
At the risk of sounding idiotic, I think the storys style is really determined by the story itself. Stories written in a certain style generally have some kind of common basis between them, e.g first-person and narrative are usually told in the past tense, but narrative can also be done in the present. I''ve never come across something in the future tense, though.

"Darn it" George will say... dosn''t seem to work, does it?

If at first you don''t succeed, call it version 1.0

SketchSoft | SketchNews
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
I agree with the guy above me. You really have to analyze what the game needs and then make a choice. For example, there aren''t many games with a 1st person narration. However, not many games need a 1st person narration, or any narration at all. I can''t recall any game as of late where each action was narrated ("YOU GETS THE KEY(S)"). And even in a cutscreen juicy plot story game, you don''t see much "Jacob knew something was up with the way Ben was stareing at the toilet." Look at it, determine whats need text explanations and what is simply enough animated.

-> Will Bubel
-> Machine wash cold, tumble dry.
william bubel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement