🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Recomendations

Started by
9 comments, last by CodeStrider 24 years, 2 months ago
Hi all, For the most part games that I have played are mainly first person shooters (Quake1,2,3A, Halflife, AvP). Of these I enjoyed Halflife/Op Force the most for it''s storyline and the skillfull way it was portrayed to the player. I wanted a change of pace and have seen several references to a game called "Baldur''s Gate" (RPG). What games along the same lines would others recomend ? I mainly play offline so it would have to have a good single player component. Thanks.
Advertisement
Hmmmm, Final Fantasy 7 or 8, maybe some Diablo 1 (soon to be 2 also). Fallout got good ratings I think, i personally didn''t like it though. Cheers!
quote: Original post by CodeStrider

Hi all,

For the most part games that I have played are mainly first person shooters (Quake1,2,3A, Halflife, AvP). Of these I enjoyed Halflife/Op Force the most for it''s storyline and the skillfull way it was portrayed to the player. I wanted a change of pace and have seen several references to a game called "Baldur''s Gate" (RPG). What games along the same lines would others recomend ? I mainly play offline so it would have to have a good single player component.

Thanks.

Try downloading Betrayal at Krondor from sierra''s website (its free). Its also first person, but the graphics are very lousy by todays standards. It is an RPG and it got one of the best storylines I have ever seens in a computer game as it was written by a rather fameous fantasy writter called Raymond E. Feist. So if you can accept the graphics its defently worth a try.

Regards

nicba
In my opinion, if it''s story and characters you''re looking for: GRAPHIC ADVENTURES! My absolute favorite type of game that I also create! Here are some favorites (all available for purchase (cheap!) at LucasArts.Com):

Monkey Island 1,2,3 (and they''re announcing 4 on Wed.!!)
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

hm, my mind is blanking now, but they are all good. However, if you are really attached to combat and don''t like ga''s I''d recommend Fallout and Final Fantasy 7 (not 8, it''s not as good).

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Hi,

It all comes down to whether you prefer story over open ended-ness.

Baldur''s Gate is an excellent game, but the story is a tad bad. You might want to try out Planescape: Torment which is newer and has a more well written (but more linear) story.

I my opinion you should stay away from Final Fantasy unless you like a hack''n slash game where you are led trough a story without any actual options.
Another great RPG is daggerfall. It has its flaws, but it offers a pretty good amount of freedom and non-linearity. Sometimes I wonder if I''m the only one who likes this game though
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
if you want a great RPG get final fantasy II, final fantasy III, or chrono trigger. Which one is best depends on opinion (I like FF2 best myself) but they are all considered to be the best console style RPGs ever. Final fantasy 7 is quite simply not much of a game. You can get the above three for free since they are so old. Get znes (I think at znes.com or search) and then search for ROMS and FF2 or whatever. Each game is only like a meg. The graphics look old but you get used to it fast. FF5 is good too but I definently wouldn''t recommend it unless you''ve played other games like it, too complex. Oh in case you were wondering downloading ROMS isn''t like warez, it is respectable.
Thanks for all the responses. Lots of info to check out. I found lot''s of info on www.rpgplanet.com, one of the game spy sites. Might be worth checking out.
quote: Original post by AtypicalAlex

Monkey Island 1,2,3 (and they''re announcing 4 on Wed.!!)
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Full Throttle
Grim Fandango
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Yes. They are very good! But you forgot to mention ''The Dig''. Its a bit short but longer than ''Full Throttle''. I think its a great game too. Also ''Day Of The Tentacle'' is quite good.

Regards

nicba
Yes, DOTT and the original Maniac Mansion are good (same with Zak McKracken and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade--two early ones). The Dig, however, is not one of my favorites. To me it is an example of an overly high budget (this game used ILM for special fx!) and a bad plot. Too predictable and the characters were not very likeable. Hey, that''s just IMHO, there are tons of people who love The Dig!

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement