🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Another game idea I want to do

Started by
7 comments, last by Scorponok 24 years, 1 month ago
I have been planning this game for some time. I like transformers a lot and I have seen very little games for them. THe ones there are suck. I want to make it with an isometric view. The player can design their own transformer based on many variables. Basicly the player controls one transformer and is sent on missions that are randomly generated. I will also implement combiners and triple changer but dont know how i will implement it for player control. The computer ai will control enemy and teamates. I want the robots to be able to manipulate objects. I want flying robots to be able to fly. I thik this will be fun to write and I dont mind the time this will take. I want to also allow multiplayer play to. If something seems vague let me know. Please give any suggestions bout how I should go about doing this. Also I am thing of using Direct3D but also just thinking of using animated sprites. Should I use DirectX since I am gonna make this a windows program.
Advertisement
Do you have any game programming experience? If not, this is certainly an ambitious first project. I personnally like OpenGL for my graphics, and I use Directx for input, sound, music, multiplayer, etc

<(o)>
<(o)>
I do have some experience. THe only proble I have is just setting up the structure for the program. I have used directdraw but I am still figuring out direct3D

Would the game be StarCraft, Warcraft, etc. That kind of view? If so I would use animated sprites, otherwise it might run too slowly. Sounds cool though. Would you use the real transformers (the real names,looks, etc)?
I thought bout animated sprites. And a starcraft look is just about what i am interested in but u play with only only character.
I will use the real transformers and I will try to come up with a editor that allows users to create their own.

What I would kill to see, Skorp, is a TF game with the look and feel of the Armored Core series. If you haven''t played it, do. Best giant flying robot game ever.
Make certain that you design this game to utilize BOTH forms that the player can choose. Try to avoid lame stuff, like low ceilings or passageways you can only fit through if you are in vehile mode.

Optimus Prime kicked ass.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Actually.. i think low areas in which you''re forced in to vehicle mode play an important part. For example, the Robotech series, which I personally LOVE! In some of the battles they had to drop their mech into a half-tank mode because they were actually going INSIDE an enemy ship. At places where it''s feasible to need to be in this mode, i''d say go for it. Heck, if you were the enemy, you''d put smaller crafts in your ship and make smaller passageways, simply to keep people from going into your craft! That is, assuming they wouldn''t transform into what was needed. Part of the transformer aspect was that they transformed. The vehicle mode made sense in a getaway scene, where you needed to drive a person or persons to safety quickly! Transformers also didn''t seek to engage in a firefight if it wasn''t nessicary! They''d try to find some way around it, etc.. that''s why they''re the good guys ;p
Anyways, i think the game idea is awesome.. as i personally have always wanted to do something like this. Actually, i''d like to make a real life one.. hehe, but we''ll save that for the engineers!

J
I plan on having much control of all forms. I have been planning this games for three years but never had the time. I have no class this summer so i plan to have a prototype out by thee end of summer. HOPEFULLY

K. The ROBOTECH reference won me over. Just make sure it''s not the only trick in the bag, is all.

(Breetai ruled!)

Where does the Landfish live? Everywhere. Is not the Landfish the Buddha?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement