🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How can a non musician make or learn music and with program?

Started by
13 comments, last by Warsong 21 years, 7 months ago
exactly what do you mean by non musician? i play guitar, bass, and drums, i can listen to a song and learn it, i write my own music by messing around with an instrument but if you put some sheet music or ''tabs'' in front of me you might as well give me a page of hieroglyphics, i didnt learn formally but by watching and listening to others and experimenting on my own. i guess as long as you can hum a tune or have some instrument to experiment on you can write songs for games (download a keyboard program) but you dont need to be a ''musician,'' though it would hprobably help if you were.
Advertisement
quote: shaft
So don''t get too disheartened by the talk that it requires years of hard work. Finding a cool tool like acid pro could make it years of FUN work.

Why wouldn''t years of hard work be fun in itself?

quote: shaft
Probably not as good as what a trained musician might be able to create, but for my demo purposes what I created what fine. And it''s inspired me to get back into music (I played piano for 3 years, drums for 4).

That''s a good point. The first step to becoming a musician is to be interested in music, or else, what is your motivation for writing the music yourself? The second step is to get a teacher.

quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
exactly what do you mean by non musician?

I think it means anyone who doesn''t already consider himself a musician (which is what I figured from the title of this thread).

quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
i guess as long as you can hum a tune or have some instrument to experiment on you can write songs for games (download a keyboard program) but you dont need to be a ''musician,'' though it would hprobably help if you were.

Not orchestral scores, I bet.
Ok I tried acid PRO and it is not all that. It has a lot of good things on it but it lacks many basic things like selecting an instrument or pressing on the keys to be used as a piano.

I think my old program "FAST TRACKER 2" is still ahead on making music even though it lacks many things Too bad they don''t put all the best things in one. Well I was hoping for something newer even though fast tracker2 was recommended years ago 2 me by a musician.

I can play a bit of music (so so) and i got the tunes in my head but cant express them well. Also I don’t know how to read sheet music which I did that in school but I forgot it lol.
Well that’s for the help everyone. And if you find a good program post it so others know.
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .

FruiyLoops really whips the llama''s ass.

http://www.fruityloops.com/

What started years ago as a simple drum-loop program evolved into a full-fledged, powerful music software.
Acid pro can do everything fasttracker can do. There is a virtual keyboard, and you can link sounds like you can in fast tracker. It''s just not the main interface. The main interface is composing using existing loops. But it can do "tracking" like stuff as well as midi. It''s just not the main interface, and it''s also not the best. For midi I prefer Emagic Logic Audio.

Fruity loops is a sweet program (as noted above by someone else). That will probably be my next purchase. It''s a little difficult to compose a complete song though. But it is perfect for designing your own loops.

Good luck on whatever you choose. There''s a lot of fun tools out there to play with. You just have to find one (or many) that appeal to the way you want to compose.

My soon to be complete studio will contain:
1. Acid pro (prototyping and song composition)
2. Roland Synth and Emagic Logic Audio (melody, and creating custom stuff to add to acid pro).
3. Fruity Loops (for creating more loops to add to Acid Pro).

Still haven''t gotten fruity loops yet, just played with the demo. But this studio setup works well for me (and I think will work better when I get fruity loops).
He''s a bad motha - Shut yo mouth.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement