🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

don't understand license bs, help

Started by
3 comments, last by billybob 21 years, 7 months ago
can anyone explain the http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lgpl.html ? all i need to know is can i use a library under this license (openAL) and distribute my program without releasing the source?
Advertisement
Under LGPL you can use a library without releasing your own source code as long as you dynamically link to it. Meaning, if you just use the library DLL (which is what most people do) instead of statically linking your program with the library you don't have to worry about anything.

[edited by - FenixDown on December 20, 2002 11:41:47 PM]
err, after a little googling, i haven''t turned up anything on how to link a dll. do you have an example of linking a dll? it doesn''t have to be openal''s dlls, any dll in any program will do.
You just need the .lib, .h, and .DLL of the library (the lib and DLL are usually pre-compiled for you). Add the lib to your project, #include the header and you're all set. You should put the lib into /visualc++/lib folder and the header can be put into the /visualc++/include folder. The DLL should be in the /windows/system directory.

[edited by - FenixDown on December 21, 2002 1:14:05 AM]
oh, thats what i was doing anyway, thanks for the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement