🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So who here writes what?

Started by
12 comments, last by sunandshadow 24 years, 1 month ago
Who here is a writer? What do you write? What do you read? Writing is the art I do most often, and usually I write science fiction involving genetic engineering, psychology/sociology, and gender-bending. This seems to be where my current game idea is heading as well. My favorite book so far is C. J. Cherrhy''s _Cyteen_.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Well, I write, but it''s not fiction. I like to write articles covering game development and 3D graphics in general. Just wish I had more time to do it...
I''ve written numerous scenarii for pen&paper RPG.

I''ve designed and written a scenario (more than 30 chapters) for a Computer RPG game.
[Called ''GreyWorld''->''Grimonde'' in frensh.]

I''ve one book waiting to be finished, it''s a science fiction/fantasy book.
(And I''ve a animation movie scenario/storyboard at less than 25% completed, as well as another book)

I''m always having new ideas for a good game/scenario and I wrote them down for later use.

I''m working on a CRPG with a story not very far from the one in greyworld, but we''re slowing down the design to be sure not forgetting anything crucial.

My favorites books are : the Dune series, the lord of the rings, and some others...
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
I write some fiction, occasionally. Not large amounts, I tend to take years to figure out how to write the story in the way that I like. I write lyrics too though, for my band, and I enjoy it a lot.

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
**I use Software Mode**
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
*I''m* a writer, too! Gee, could you tell by some of my other posts?
Ingenu, writing and running RPGs, despite what many people say, is actually VERY relevant when writing for games, too. It is one of my favorite activities in the whole of my existance, and I''m glad to see others are taking their inspiriation form tabletop stuff.

Long Live Shadowrun!

======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I don''t know how to write, usually I just think what I wish I could do(Whether humanly possible or not) and would put it in a game. Is this good or bad thinking?
Of course rules are set but is this generally a bad idea to just go straight from what I want when writting a story?
That''s not a BAD thing to do, but it isn''t the only thing you have to do. There''s a lot to writing, but I would advise you to avoid the most common mistake:

Before you write a single word, know how the story is going to end.

There. Combine that with your desire to do things you can''t, and bang, you''re a writer (well, kinda)!
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote: Original post by Landfish

Before you write a single word, know how the story is going to end.

That''s not _absolutely_ necessary, but it is a very good idea. BTW, if you''re asking questions about how to write in general rather than how to do a specific aspect of writing, the relevant term is "process". Process is one of those things that can be really different between writers. Some writers use a plot-based approach (think of the general plot first), some use a character-based approach (neat character first), some use an atmosphere-based approach (I want to write a story that feels like a Douglas Adams book), and some use an element-based approach (I want my story to have lions, androids, and a ruby carved into an apple). But whatever you start with, eventually you have to get around to them all. This idea is known as the circle of story-creation.
Anyway, enough lecture. Do you have any specific questions? Ask! Gamedev is here so we can help each other out.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Naw, Naw, the lecture was COOL!

Anyway, you''re right. I am certain that an individual exists somewhere who writes amazing stories without a clue where he''ll end up. Most people aren''t him though.

The reason I am in favor of the knowing-the-end-before-you-start technique is because (IMO) it is a sign of a great story when there are things that just don''t make sense until the end. Otherwise, it feels like exactly what it is: not terribly well thought out.

Lecture #2 has now ended. Come back tommorrow, when sunandshadow and landfish will discuss the consequences of Nuclear Energy!

-Landfish
Most of the time I wrote stories with key points, scenes I like very much and feeling I want other to share with me.
I write a story with a clue of what will be the main line and I work on the character, then I write...

Sometimes (most times) new ideas come in my mind while I''m writing, making me adding new plots/elements to the story.

I really enjoy working around an special scene, it can be an image I''ve seen and I based some story on or anything else.

Sometimes, I base a scene on music too...

I think each of us has a way to write.

Don''t wirte if yo''ve nothing to tell or nothing to share.

-* Sounds, music and story makes the difference between good and great games *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement