🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What's the industry like in New Zealand /Aus

Started by
1 comment, last by d000hg 21 years, 6 months ago
That''s it really! Plus what are chances of getting a job there when I have to relocate from UK? I''ve seen a few such jobs for various countries that''d pay for relocation etc... Read about my game, project #1 NEW (18th December)2 new screenshots, one from the engine and one from the level editor John 3:16
Advertisement
Games jobs?

As far as I''m aware there are about 2 companies in NZ and around 5 in OZ...

The MD of Creative Asylum (Ted Bailey) actually did something similar - he''d been involved in some of the UK games biz, but decided to pack up and go travelling, ending up in New Zealand where he turned up on the doorstep of Acid Software (Blitz BASIC etc) and said something like "I''ve come from the other side of the planet - gizza job" - they couldn''t refuse the offer.

But I''d say times have changed - IMO your chances of getting a games job in the UK are about 50+ times greater. [And it''s *hard* to get a job in games in the UK at the moment...]

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Agreed!

There aren''t many companies in Oz, and most are in Melbourne (Infogrames especially), some in Sydney, some on the Gold Coast (EA). I''ve just moved from the UK, and I''m starting a second degree in March because there aren''t many jobs, in the meantime, I''m developing an entry to the Australian Game Developers Unsigned Game Competition (I''m the producer of a team of eight developers, for the next year). That''s my plan to get into the industry anyway!

UK is has far more prospects!

Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement