🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which 3D accelerated card should I buy ?

Started by
27 comments, last by michaK 24 years, 1 month ago
Do somebody know what is the best and/or cheap 3D card ? Which Brand should I choose for GeForce chipset cards ? Should I wait for GeForce II ? -- Computers are not intelligent, they just think they are ... michaK
--Computers are not intelligent, they just think they are ...michaK
Advertisement
If you are looking for cheap but good get a TNT2 based card... (it has excellent OpenGL support)
for bettergfx and more £ get a GeForce,
if you are patient wait and get a GeForce 2
the moral of this story??

avoid the Poodoo cards at all costs...

Check out my shadows page
and send me some feedback
Check out my shadows page and send me some feedback
OpenGL support? My OpenGL support is crap. It works, after about 3-6 crashes. It is kinda like warming up a car or my card finally realizes that I'm not joking. Yes, that's TNT2. (Diamond Viper 770)

Anyhoo, even though ATI's new card is supposed to rule the planet, don't get it because ATI cards are just as reliable as the cardboard computer I fixed up 2 years ago. That's no joke.

To finally reply to your question, try to get the GF2 if you have the cash. Up to 128 MB ram! I'm sure they will have DDRAM versions as soon as they come out this month.

Edited by - nes8bit on May 9, 2000 6:20:35 PM
My creative TNT2 Ultra is as sound as the hills!!
It really rocks...
and it is very reliable...
I so some experimental stuff so I would prefer a GeForce but I just don''t have the cash asap...
go for GeForce2 is the general message, anyone know when they are released??

NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
The rest sucks!
I''m not stupid I''m from theNetherlands! ;)
Thats why the Voodoo5 is faster in all third party tests, has out of the box FSAA support and supports ALL 3 APIs...

Go with the V5 if you want a crad to last for a while

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
-George Wallace

To make mistakes is human; to stumble is commonplace; to be able to laugh at yourself is maturity.
-William Arthur Ward

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining? -George Wallace To make mistakes is human; to stumble is commonplace; to be able to laugh at yourself is maturity. -William Arthur Ward
Heya!

Depends what platform you have i would say. In case you have a K6 system, i wouldn''t reccomend any gfx card with 16MB or more memory (or was it 32?). You _will_ have problems with TNT2/GeForce etc.. if you have a K6. I had so many problems with my K6-2 450 (and later exchanged it for a K6-III 450) mayor problems with both processors and my TnT 2.

Anyway, just some general advice... Avoid K6 if you want to play games / make games, good for office use tho..

Btw. My Athlon system is stable as steel with the TnT 2

Cheers!
Gepper
Right now I think the best bang for your buck is the Velocity 100. You can get it for sixty or seventy dollars US, and it''s built on the Voodoo 3 chipset. Essentially the only difference between the Velocity 100 and the Voodoo 3 2000 is that the Velocity 100 has only 8MB video memory.

For eighty to one hundred dollars US, I would recommend the Voodoo 3 2000, because moving from 8MB to 16MB video memory makes a difference.

$120 - $130 seems to be the current price range on TNT2 cards, but for $130 you can get a Diamond Viper II, which can outperform TNT2 Ultra cards. At least on Quake 3 framerates anyway . And it comes close to most SDR GeForce cards.

At the higher end, the Guillemot 3D Prophet SE SDR GeForce card seems to be the best all-round performer for SDR versions. For the DDR GeForce cards it looks like the Hercules 3D Prophet DDR-DVI 32MB is the best buy.

Oh, these are non-OEM prices.
I will soon buy a computer, but i want the geforce2.

What processor should i bought??? K7 700Mhz or PIII 600Mhz

I will make games and applications in Windows with OpenGL.

Please help me... I am ""indeciso"", thats portuguese.

PROgrammer
Buy a P 3 600
and don''t Buy Voodoo cards for preference over Nvidia ones.
OpenGL is the way forward and Voodoo''s just don''t support enough stuff in OpenGL.
Instead of speeding up what''s there they try and change the way everything is done. They don''t work with the API''s they try and change them, unlike the GeForce cards.
and incidently TNT2 GeForce and GeForce2 cards can all do FSAA aswell, or will be able to with upcoming driver releases. SO BUY A GEFORCE2!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement