🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Which 3D accelerated card should I buy ?

Started by
27 comments, last by michaK 24 years, 1 month ago
Why should he buy a PIII 600 instead of an Athlon 700? I''ve even heard that Athlons are faster than PIII''s, can anyone confirm that?

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
Advertisement
Thats right! K7 its better than Pentium III... technicly (bad english)... BUT the microsoft and others apps and chips work better with a pentium.... and that really sucks!!!...

I dont know how to right in english but the ''intern'' velocity of K7 its +/- 2x the PIII velocity... i think... correct me if i am wrong...

SO cya and tnx for the help
P III can do more stuff than the athlon.
and you can get 733MHz PIII''s
and above...

P3''s have SIMD stuff built into the chip so they can process
a single instruction on multiple data at once, instead of in sequence.

Go with intel they have more support and athlon are no faster...

besides this thread was about graphics cards, so is it agreed that GeForce2 is the business?

Check out my shadows page
and send me some feedback
Check out my shadows page and send me some feedback
nes8,

The reason that Diamond Viper sucks is, well,
it''s a DIAMOND card! I''ve found out the hard way that Diamond''s drivers are the sorriest on the planet. You''re better off with reference drivers.

That is, in most cases. Unfortunately, I got a Viper for my dad and I can''t get the accursed thing to work in 98 at all with ANYONES drivers.

Any other TNT2 is fine. Bye the way, all, I''ll probably be getting a Voodoo5 at some point. But that''s ''cause I got more games that''d benefit from the FSAA that ALWAYS works.

As for processors, I''d go with any AMD chip {''cept the K5.} They''re just as good as the PIIs and PIIIs, better than the Celerons {''cause the celerys DON''T have full instruction sets,} and cheaper.

So far, I havent seen a really good Athlon based Mobo that supports 4x AGP or works well with Geforce cards, So id say... WAIT! If you wait for a couple weeks, the 733 PIIIs will be available for ~$500. Don''t go just on that though, because if you want to Use SDRAM, the i820 chipset ("best" for PIII) has a huge problem with Its MTH. Personally, im waiting for the 1.4 Ghz chips to roll out, but thats just me... Oh yea, Id say either get a geForce2 now (Creative or Asus) or wait for the Voodoo5 6000. The 6000 is more powerful than any current card, but it will be VERY expensive.(~$600) If your only looking at buying soon though, from what Ive seen, the GeForce2s are much better than any of the current cards (including the V5 5500). Also, Ive seen better drivers from nVidia (probably because of their partnerships with Microsoft...) then from 3dfx. Overall though, If you can afford em'', all the new cards look VERY good. BTW- Most stable card I ever had was a Voodoo 3 3000. I only removed it because the GeForce came out.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

If you want some infos on graphics cards and processors, I recommend you visit Tom''s Hardware and Sharky Extreme. These are my favorite sites for hardware advices.

Eric Laberge
----------------------------------------"Inash neteia haeg joa kavari quilm..." SD4
While the price of the Voodoo cards is nice their implementation of OpenGL seems to be more of a hack than a legitimate driver. I have both a V3-2000 and a GForce-DDR and NVidia''s ICD works really well. You can switch from windowed to fullscreen no problems, set just about any color more your heart desires and it seems fairly stable.
ie: I crashed my programs hundreds of times and have yet to need to reboot because the driver didn''t DIG what I was doing.

Since the GForce2 is coming out shortly you might be able to pick up a GForce for dirt cheap, or if you have cash wait a bit and see how the new Voodoos handle OpenGL (if they improved their miniGL hack or if they now support OGL windowed since they haven''t supported any hardware windowed displays in the past).

As for ATI. Well their propaganda looks nice but they''ve typically been pretty bad for driver updates as IMHO they''ve been in bed with the OEMs too long.

This Space Left Blank
geforce 2 gts is allready out at some retailers like Best Buy, the guillemont card is 359$ hands down best card on the market. dont even bother with the voodoo5, its trash compared to the geforce2, who needs super high resolutions and fsaa that unnecessarily blurs the screan when u can have real time per pixel shading and GOOD image quality at normal resolutions?
1.) I think you are interested in OpenGL so: Never ever think about than buing anything else than a nVidia card !!!

2.) The best performance (the gap is even greater under GL) and the most reliable drivers.

3.) A GeForce is a coders dream. The drivers are amazing and it has sooooo many cool OpenGL extensions to play with.

4.) Only buy the GF2 if you have the money. The difference is there, but it may not be worth the money. be sure you get a DDR if you decide to buy a GF level card.

5.) Don''t buy a gfx card from the worst company in the world. The V5 just touches the feature level of a TNT1, so won''t have a lot of fun when you code cool demos and want to do nice FXs.

6.) If you can wait a few mothe, take a look at the Radeom. It might not be faster than the GF2, but it has more features
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
Buy what ever card you want. I use a TNT2 and it is a very sound and powerful card. I have never had ny problems with it. If you want T&L get a GeForce. The GeForce2GTS has all the same probs with memory bandwidth as the GeForce. I perfer NVIDIA cards cause they produce a better image than Voodoos. My 2 cents.
InFerN0Not all who wander are lost...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement