🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Will Down-To-Earth Plots Ever Work?

Started by
10 comments, last by NeilArrow 24 years, 1 month ago
I don''t think that realistic games would really work. I mean that they would be fun to play as long as they had a good plot but there are dangers with this type of game. You would have to be very careful with what you did regarding violence. In unrealistic games its perfectly all right to blow someone up because normally they are an unbelievable character link and invading alien or a zombie etc. But what happens when your player attacks a real person? Your character my have valid reasons like there a criminal, but there are folks about who would be horified by the idea of a game where you kill real people.

In games like police quest its all right to shoot people because your a cop and thats a given that they can shoot people. But if they character you are playing isn''t viewed by society to have the right to shoot people this could cause problems with the cencores. Of course I not saying a realistic game would have to envolve killing anyone, but can you think of any games outside of puzzlers where there is no violence/conflict?

In not taling about morality in games. I''m just saying that everyone (eg. game companies, parents, general public) are more comfortable with games involving slaying dragons than they would been with games with realistic plots.
Advertisement
There was a time early in the history of film, when certain groups were opposed to addressing any serious issues with them. "It''s an entertainment medium," they said, "Who wants to see serious stuff when they''ve paid to be entertained?"

At that time, Schindler''s List was not a movie that would ever be made. Or Fight Club. Or any other movie i''ve seen in my life worth watching. No, they made movies about normal people getting rich, and the occasional tame mystery.

I''m not saying that games will go the same path. I think that they might, and if they do, I don''t want to be one of the people who doubted a revolution.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement