🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What if you had to play the goblin, faced with genocide?

Started by
10 comments, last by Niphty 24 years, 1 month ago
I assume you mean the ''Deception'' series from Techmo. Yeah great concept, (and a much better trap system than Dungeon Keeper too).

Well, this is what I''ll contribute. Certain things have minds of their own, granted lets take goblins as an example. They''re generally not much smarter than the average bear, and are easily swayed by a leader authority, be it fear and promises. The leader''s generally dumb as shit too, but has a drive to world domination. This is the stereotype. And it''s the same way with humans too. We find something we think is right and cool, and we advocate it.
So beasically, it''s not a question of alignment at all anymore. It used to be back in the olden days of D&D where alignment dicatated behavior. Nowadays (and as every good DM realized long ago), behavior dictated alignment.
Let me bring up a funny example:
I DMed a group of players, where there were two Paladin PCs. These guys thought it''d be funny to one day walk into a house, slaughter the occupants, and play soccer with their heads. Now many RPGs nowadays (computer) don''t do anything, perhaps ''you lose faction'' with that town. Now every DM in his right mind would say screw that, you''re not just losing faction, you''re being stripped of your powers, welcome to simple warriorhood, not to mention, you''ve pretty much pissed off your deity and don''t be surprised if he wants to teach you a lesson.

Perspective is an important thing...and as any DM or RPG designer you should walk a mile in the shoes of every creature (PC/NPC) you place in the game.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining
Advertisement
First of all, yes you shouldn''t be all thoughful and anti-violent all the time. But you shouldn''t be thoughtless and violent ALL OF THE TIME either. When it comes down to it, we can always choose what gamnes to play and what not to.

As for alignments, I think they are outmoded entirely. Whose to say dieties have alignments too? Don''t dieties make the occasional arbitrary decision? Heh.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement