🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Adventure games

Started by
24 comments, last by shinzo 21 years, 2 months ago
Before I start, a question: ARE ADVENTURE GAMES A DEAD OR DYING BREED? I have been a gamer for more than 15 years, and my favourite genre has always been adventure games(starting with the old text based adventures, you know the type). The problem is nobody seems to be creating them anymore. The likes of The Gabriel Knight and Broken Sword series''s, are just not being continued, GK is probably the greatest adventure series of all time, with a biggest fan base i have seen for a game, but seirra studios have nailed the coffin shut saying they wont be making anymore. The reason for this post, is that I have what seems to me at least, a good adventure game idea. Is it worth me carrying on with my idea? If so, has anyone got any pointers or ideas that can help me? I am definitely a beginner when it comes to game development (C++ programmer, currently learning directx programming in c++), but I feel that if I can create a strong enough story line and a basic interface it could be a goer. All comments welcome, Shinzo. "Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough!"
Advertisement
Pitch your idea, already!

2DNow - Yesteryears technology at your fingertips! - REDESIGNED!
Adventure games are now a niche market. Mostly because the other genres have caught up in terms of graphics and sound. But it''s still a market. There are a few adventure games publishers left and indie projects abound.

If you just want to get your feet wet, try using AGS, SLUDGE, or AGAST for graphical adventures, TADS for text (or illustrated text) adventures. These are all engines that you can get and use for free, though they vary in commercial licensing, features, etc.

Or ou can write your own. It shouldnt be too hard, and you may want to examine the ones listed above for features to consider.

If you are looking for crits on your story you''ll have to post some details.

HTH
quote: Original post by shinzo
Before I start, a question:
ARE ADVENTURE GAMES A DEAD OR DYING BREED?

Nah, nobody''s just come up with the right formula for a successful title, and the genre was heavily played for a long time. Like in the film business, genres have cyclicality. It is not dead, imho, it''s actually poised for a comeback that is going to surprise everybody. Just the extant facts that every genre possible other than adventure games have been produced to death and themselves ready for death is a global indication; secondly, the reason the adventure genre got so popular to begin with in the earlier days of gaming (including text adventures) is because the quality and type of gameplay player reward you got from adventure was so satisfying. IMO, we descended into FPS, and lowered the standards of quality for the entire business while cloaking the whole thing in huge claims about how great the graphics looked et al. This was part bait and switch, and part finding the sweet spot in the market to make the most money.

This is why crappy films can still kill at the box office.

The take away value of experience a player has from an adventure game vs. a FPS is of a different and more evolved player experience loop; so comparisons are shaky at best, they are two different critters.

quote:
The reason for this post, is that I have what seems to me at least, a good adventure game idea.

Is it worth me carrying on with my idea?
If so, has anyone got any pointers or ideas that can help me?

I am definitely a beginner when it comes to game development (C++ programmer, currently learning directx programming in c++), but I feel that if I can create a strong enough story line and a basic interface it could be a goer.

I would suggest that you make the game that you would want to play, and that is the best kind of game you personally can make. I am making my own adventure game, and am thrilled both as a designer and as a player everytime I come up with something new that makes me use my wits and courage and intelligence to advance in the game world rather than through violence. It''s just so much more evolved, for one, and two, you''r goiung to have to hit that watermark if you want to make a big mass market game.

I''m not saying FPS games are a bad thing; I''ve played my fair share of them and enjoy the experience the game offered me. What I am saying is that is not the only application of fun, and humans tend to evolve towards their self actualization (if you believe Maslowe) and violence is not up but down.

I will also say that it is a more complicated and sophisticated design process in terms of what you have to put together creatively, because you are attempting to create fun without relying on twitch in most cases, and that may have something to do with why nobody has been too successful designing at that level lately, some exceptions granted.

Addy

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

There is no such thing as a genre that is dead. Dormant, possibly, but never dead. As the poster above said, most things in entertainment move in cycles. And when the next big budget project that reinvents the wheel with a new twist or well thought out project, that genre will wake up again. Program what you would want to play and there are bound to be others of like mind.

GRELLIN

"Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity."
Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
Adventuredesign, how''d I know you were going to respond to this? I pretty much agree with you though, which is nice, so I don''t have to say much. I''d just like to say that, adventure games are a great device for carrying a lot of story, personality and style. All of these can help make a wonderful gaming expierence.

It''s not that adventure games are dead, just that no one''s realized how to market them for the new century. Give it a shot. Keep your vision, and remember what you''re trying to make, and why it''ll be great.

The process of making an entire game can be pretty intimidating. Remember, it takes teams of professionals from a good chunk of time. Don''t let yourself get too frusterated with it. Make some smaller stuff first, and remember your dreams and goals.
Genres dont die, they simply wait for the one guy who will figure it out and reinvent the genre.
In the case of adventure games, my prediction is :
"Look netwards, for they shall come from the Net, carried by high bandwidth and designer oriented languages"

In fact, just look at all those little games something like Macromedia Flash or Director allows you to do. I have seen quite a lot of them recently.
Most are no more than movies with the user having to click here or there once in a while, but the whole hentai games industry is based on this concept, and I dont see it going down...

If you have got a nice story driven (as opposed to puzzle driven) idea, and not a lot of programming skils, but you know how to do graphics, you might really want to give Flash (possibly Director) a try. And look on the Net for Flash adventure games to get an idea of what''s doable.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by ThoughtBubble
Adventuredesign, how''d I know you were going to respond to this?

...How could I have resisted? :D It was like Ulysses and the Sirens, which was my first failed design you should know.

Addy

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

Here are some recent (and not so recent) text adventure games, various related utilities and articles, and maybe even some authoring tools (I haven''t checked that far recently)

The text adventure game is not dead - it''s just gone underground (and is lost in a maze of little twisty passages, all different)
Oh I am so happy that there are more adventurers out there, I honesty thought we were a dying breed.

Bar the first negative post, some excellents points and answers I really needed to hear.

Thankyou all, Ill keep you posted with my progress and hopefully get some critiques on my ideas.

Shinzo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement