🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Landscape/World generation

Started by
3 comments, last by Blue*Omega 24 years, 1 month ago
Does anyone know a simple way to generate/load terrain and/or worlds (by worlds I mean somthing like what Zelda has: trees, buildings, rivers, etc.) I have tried the bitmap thing and didn''t like the results I got. I also dont want somthing like a portal base quake level editor. Those have thier own purpose, which isn''t mine. ----------------------------- Blue*Omega (Insert Witty Quote Here)
// Tojiart
Advertisement
What exactly is your purpose?
I am trying to make an RPG type game. The camera for this game will be set at a kind of higher up, over the shoulder position. (Picture Zelda64 with a fixed, very slightly top down view) Eniemies, NPC''s, Characters, etc. were simple enough. For those I am using Wavefront OBJ files with skeletal animation. Those all look great, now I need a world to match. I''m NOT doing this game in "levels" or "dungons", instead I''d like the world to be one solid map with a few seperate ones for the inside of castles, houses, and so on.
Am I boring you yet?

-----------------------------

Blue*Omega

(Insert Witty Quote Here)
// Tojiart
If you''re doing it in 3D I''d do some research on ROAM engines. Then create an editor that would allow you to draw heightmaps and load in outside meshs for structures and trees, etc..
There are lots of good docs on ROAM on www.gamasutra.com. I''ve read through a bunch of them, but since they are using a modification on the quad tree, how would you store other objects too (buildings, characters, vehicles, etc) so that you can do HSR and Collision detection using one tree? Anybody got any ideas?

Morgan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement