🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Best Cheap/Free 3dStudioMax-type Program? (with good export to GL)

Started by
6 comments, last by Mike00 24 years ago
What''s the best cheap or free 3dStudioMax-type program that exports to openGL? Thanks!
Advertisement
Download the program called CuteMX
I think it is at www.cuteftp.com/cutemx
or something like that
Then run that program
It lets you download software from other peoples computers who are running cutemx. CuteMX has a search feature that you can use to look for it. It also has built in chat rooms so you can ask around about it. I have got alot of useful free programs from using CuteMX
Hopefully one day people can download my programs I worked hard to create for free to.
Is that sarcasm ? I agree that maybe it shouldn''t be done but it happens. I dont have the kind of cashflow to go out and spend lots of money for development tools. I got my MSVC 6.0 compiler off CuteMX. Anyhow, I''m sure microsoft is hurting for the money i would have had to pay for it
Notice I said 3dStudioMax-TYPE program, that''s free or CHEAP, jLeslie, implying I''m not looking for pirated software or anything. I don''t want to steal a program someone worked hard to create, it''s just that studiomax is too expensive for me, so I''m looking for an alternative. I know some people have made freeware or shareware programs like that for people who can''t afford the major ones....

Hmmm, sorry ncsu121978, I was looking for something legal......

Any more suggestions?

Thanks!
I won''t lecture you on whats right or wrong, morality is subject to ones point of view. I''ll just show my concern in the hopes that someone else will think twice before doing something I consider unethical.
Mike,

Here''s a *real* answer to your question.

I think you will want to check out Blender from Not-a-Number. It comes in free and nearly-free versions. It looks more like Softimage than 3D StudioMAX, but is certainly the closest thing I''ve seen to the high-end tools for free.

Here is the web site: http://www.blender.nl/

Good luck!

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.
email: grhodes@sed.ara.com
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement