🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Storyboards

Started by
2 comments, last by shinzo 21 years, 2 months ago
Ive read that once you have got your story for your game, you should create storyboards. What is meant by storyboards? Are they like a graphical depiction/comic like spread of the story? Are they necessary? If so how they help? Cheers Shinzo
Advertisement
Story boards are used to help visualize what you''re creating. Basically, they''re single images of points in the story with captions, like a picture book. They''re useful for seeing the whole story in front of you. It''s also useful to be able to add notes in certain sections, programming notes, story notes, whatever.

So yes, it''s kind of like a comic book but all layed out on a board/wall.
AIM: Uugengiven
There''s no point keeping to a strict scheme - write or draw whatever best expresses your ideas, whether that''s a storyboard (good for visual sequences), a piece of text (perhaps appropriate for conversation), a flow diagram, a table, ...
Storyboards can be useful for many visual aspects of your game. Storyboards are sketched pictures in a sequence akin to a comic book that depict a scene. For example you might have have a storyboard depicting a complex combat move or how a character walks.
In movies storyboards are used for planning the scenes from how the camera should move, where people are and there is often text below which is either a note. Eg. Helicopter effects fade in slowly or it could be a line of dialouge. Eg. Neo: Can you fly that thing?

I hope this answer your question but for complete understanding take a look at these boards not done by me - I can''t draw.

Storyboard Sample 1

Storyboard Sample 2

Artificial entertainment- Define reality...
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement