🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What are my choices?

Started by
8 comments, last by Kryptus 21 years, 2 months ago
ok, i''m working on a 3D RPG, the game isn''t at all *great* but its fun to play (so far) and the graphics aren''t great nor the 3d modelling, and i kno these are all factors when competing but what am i to do eh? well i want to publish this game somehow and make money off it so i want some options. what should i do? should i put it on the net for people to buy? sell it to ppl on the street? lol. i dont kno what i should do and i doubt a big game company would accept it. what about distributors?
Advertisement
Well if you don''t think the graphics are too good your probably right so self publishing is probably the only way to go. But that doesn''t mean there aren''t some things you can try in order to improve it. Why not post in the Help Wanted forum for an artist. You may find someone willing to have a go at improving your graphics for you in return for a share of the millions you will make (oh ok $1.50 and half price Starbucks voucher).

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
"Why not post in the Help Wanted forum for an artist. "

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
quote: "Why not post in the Help Wanted forum for an artist. "

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
It is possible to find there one. But you have to try hard and often. You have to persuade the people they ahve to believe in the game and you that you have the ability and will to finish it. I found there musician for my project and we have settled for percentage of possible revenues. Take a look here Avenger game and listen to the music in game. Or go straight to her site www.sonicfarms.com. She composes fantastic music and I found her on Help wanted forum. So there is a hope. You just have to try hard and often.
Could you post some screenshots so that we could maybe think up some graphics effects that are easy to program but add a "wow" feeling to the scene. If you can invest about $100 into textures that will be great investment that shall make your game look very nice.

As for distributors You can always try real.com if they accept it, and if not, don`t be discouraged but just spice the graphics a bit with few effects and try again.

VladR
Avenger game

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

You could explore the self pubishing option or you could look at some of the shareware publishers like www.garagegames.com and www.realarcarde.com.

There are quite a few others, Google is your friend.
thanx for the help peoples, i cant get any screenshots of the game at the moment as they aren''t worth looking at. i''ve done rough scenes in 3dsmax and need to touch them up but i''ll keep people informed though and some screenshots should be up soon
quote: , i cant get any screenshots of the game at the moment as they aren''t worth looking
Now this is bullsh*t. It is natural that side to side with some newest game engine from some game site they may suck, but this is gamedev site and so it is natural that when you look 6 months back you just say: Oh my god how lame it was. It`s the natural way of game programming. But as I said we may help you in telling which effects could help you tremendously.

For example, the look of my game changed dramatically when I enabled Multitexturing and supplied my engine with few second textures. Did you try that ? You could naturally dramatically change the graphics look by implementing radiosity - but it really needs some time to get it right.

And you`ll never be happy with your current look of the game. Every time I finish some feature of my engine, I start adding another. Every time I think it`s enough, it doesn`t suck that much now and everytime I start working on another feature - I like more engine programming than game programming as you can guess.

But what you have accomplished is playable game which means you have managed to do enough just by yourself and that is something appreciated very much. Just let us see it.

VladR
Avenger game

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

also try polycount

ld
No Excuses
Off topic, for the developer of the Avenger game, why is the file .ace for downloading?
I would never download another unzipper just to download one game.

quote: Off topic, for the developer of the Avenger game, why is the file .ace for downloading?
I would never download another unzipper just to download one game.
Simply because it gives smaller compression therefore smaller and faster downloads. I know that majority of users uses WinZip and I was planning to put up there also WinZip version but my last update was done at 2.00am with head falling down on a keyboard so I didn`t have energy to put up also WinZip version. I`ll put it there with my next update.

VladR
Avenger game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement