🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

questions regarding copyrights, laws..

Started by
2 comments, last by deepakt 21 years, 2 months ago
Is it possible to copyright something in America if one is in or a citizen of another country. Can it be done over the internet. Procedure - where do we start - perhaps at a govt. site - if so, what site? If possible, how long will it take before our copyright is confirmed? How do we ensure that not only our characters, but all the art (animations, images, sound) in the game is protected? - can we protect the ideas incorporated, say, in individual animations? What sort of legal agreement must be made with a publisher - what rights over the product do we hand over to them - what are lawyers fees for crafting such an agreement - names of a few good lawyers? How much percentage of profit should be given to a publisher - how much is normal, how much can be considered a fair deal? Any import restrictions on foreign computer products? If any, can these be bypassed by having a partly american team? Online sales - is there an alternative to using payment gateways? What is this alternative? Do banks have procedures to handle part of the procedure? How do normal gaming companies pursue this?
Deepak T.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by deepakt

Is it possible to copyright something in America if one is in or a citizen of another country. Can it be done over the internet.

I belive that countries who have signed the Berne Convention have agreed to honor the copyrights granted by each other. So if you copyright something in Iceland, then Americans will honor it as well.

More details: Berne Convention

That said, if someone violates your copyrights, and they are in another country, it would probably cost you some serious money and time to set things right.

quote:
Procedure - where do we start - perhaps at a govt. site - if so, what site?

If possible, how long will it take before our copyright is confirmed?

Google gave me this copy of Iceland''s copyright laws. I don''t know if it''s current.

quote:
How do we ensure that not only our characters, but all the art (animations, images, sound) in the game is protected? - can we protect the ideas incorporated, say, in individual animations?

Copyrights don''t protect ideas. They do cover specific works, and they cover art, animations, and sound (as well as writing and static images and the game as a whole). Start with the forum Faq, there''s a couple of links that will help.

quote:
What sort of legal agreement must be made with a publisher - what rights over the product do we hand over to them - what are lawyers fees for crafting such an agreement - names of a few good lawyers?

I imagine this will vary from publisher to publisher. Contracts are negotiable. I don''t know any lawyers in Iceland. Try talking with someone more local.

quote:
How much percentage of profit should be given to a publisher - how much is normal, how much can be considered a fair deal?

This also varies a lot.

quote:
Any import restrictions on foreign computer products? If any, can these be bypassed by having a partly american team?

If you mean software, then there''s probably not much. Ask an international delivery service (UPS, FedEx, or the local equivalent).

quote:
Online sales - is there an alternative to using payment gateways? What is this alternative? Do banks have procedures to handle part of the procedure? How do normal gaming companies pursue this?

Umm. I don''t know exactly what you''re asking here. Banks can convert currencies. You can set up your own account with major credit cards, but they will want some money as well as a percentage. You probably need a licensed business too. You could find the details at the various credit card sites I imagine. Or you can pay someone else to handle all of that.

And what do you mean by ''normal'' gaming companies? Game creators? Publishers? Online sellers?

Hope this helps,
JSwing
Go to the US Govt Patent site for patents and trademarks.
none
thanks for your advice folks, I now have a better idea but check out my latest thread and see if you can explain me the details.
Deepak T.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement