🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Profitable Career?

Started by
0 comments, last by squint 21 years, 2 months ago
I hope that this is the correct forum to post this, but I believe it is appropriate enough. I am currently in the US Army and am quite keen on attending Full Sail. Could anyone tell me, other than pointing me to the article on Full Sail already here, if they have been and what their experience was and if graduates of Full Sail do tend to do well in the programming and game design world afterwards? This is a big step for me and I''d like to hear from a large group of people ''in the know''. Even if you haven''t attended Full Sail, maybe you know a thing or two about them, or about just having a technical degree vs. a four-year. Thanks in advance, Squint
Advertisement
I graduated FullSail last november, and the last I heard none of the ten I graduated with had jobs in the industry.

Three of us have been doing the indy thing so we haven''t been looking, three have been looking but are being told they need more experience (A shipped title), one has a job offer with IBM but is checking out the game development jobs in the area, and I haven''t had word of the three I expect to get jobs without a problem. (Matt, Ted, Pat, you have my email address)

The education you get at FullSail is good, and it will give you a good foundation to build on. When it comes to computer science, your goal should be to learn how to learn, not how to perform a specific task. Learning how to work with API''s is a good thing while learning how to use the DirectX 8 API specifically is going to leave you outdated in very little time. If you go to any school with this in mind, you should succeed.

No school will get you a job, it''s the work you put in outside of school that''s going to do that. FullSail will get you started, but you shouldn''t expect a job right out of school unless you''re lucky. You''ll almost certainly spend a few months polishing your demo or writing a few more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement