🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

texture mapping

Started by
1 comment, last by LV_BOY 24 years ago
HI....i want to incorporate a picture of a tree on my created surface..As of now i have it setup such that it is drawn on two quads but i dont want the quads to be visible so that it gives realism to my tree....how would i go about doing that...basically it looks like a rectangle which the picture of a tree now..how do i eradicate this look...and blend the tree with the background...the tree image is transparent...plz let me know as soon as possible...thank u. Opengl Rules !!
Opengl Rules !!
Advertisement
Did you download siggraph99 Source Code? It has lots of code examples including transparency and blending (see nature example group in it).

http://reality.sgi.com/blythe/sig99/

Tod
How can it look like a quad if the tree texture is transparent? Or is you´re tree a rectangle ;-). Are you using a texture that is either alpha-tested or has an alpha-map (with a GL_RGBA format)? Or are you multi-texturing? If your answer to any of these questions is no, I suggest you support a file format with an alpha-map, like Targa or PNG.

What you probably want to do is the technique called billboarding, instead of explaining it to you in this reply, I suggest you go to Nate´s OpenGL Page. There you can download a tutorial on billboarding aswell as a tutorial on loading .tga files and many more tutorials.. such as backface culling, bsp´s, .ase model loading, multi-texturing, normals, et cetera.

----------
Drago, VerSoft
osu!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement