🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Steps to sell a shareware game

Started by
8 comments, last by Helius 21 years, 2 months ago
Hi all I have just finished a shareware game project, and I have put it on Share It. I send it to about 40 shareware listing websites. Now my visits has increased but I think I''ve missing something... Are there any other formula to sell shareware?? Any good website to sell games??
Advertisement
Well, I guess, you should give some times to those who downloaded the game to finish the shareware levels, so they will want more, and ask you for the full version.

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
Community is an element many authors neglect. If you haven''t done so, setup some forums so players can talk to other players of the game. This accomplishes several things, including letting people see that other people are playing this game, and giving them a sort of club that goes along with the game. Introducing any social aspect to a game these days (computers in general have become far more social with the success of the Internet). Also, where can we find and try out your game?
BetaShare - Run Your Beta Right!
Yep!

I''m just working on that but I''m still thinking that I''m missing something.

The game can be found at: www.planetiso.com/helium

Could a game of this characteristics be send to a small publisher?? And what publisher in that case?? I''m a bit lost.
Helius,

Ok, I've played your game and the reason why it's not selling is probably cause of the poor design. I'm surprised you got such high scores from the reviews . Your game is just confusing, from the level selection screen to the symbols you get at the end of the level. There is no explination of this in the game at all. I only knew about it cause I took the time to read your website.

Also when I selected the level, it was way to big and complex as a first level or something for the demo. I also had problems with the control of the ball. Your physics is too active. It was easier to just hold down the brakes and move the ball (but this is a personal preference).

I noticed the ball does not spin either, but I noticed an enemy ball spinning.

When I died, there is no indicator that the game is over. It just simply stops, and I have to ESC out to the menu and select the level again. There is also no indicator to tell the player how many diamonds are left in the level, which would be very usefull.

I also have to question the use of your background image. Isn't that painting copyrighted . Also some of your level textures looks very familiar.

Also you should add a button/feature to release the Helium from the ball. That way players don't have to sit and ram themselves against the wall to wait for Helium to release naturally.

I think you have a good game concept (The ball slowly shrinking), but poor execution of the overall game. My major complaint is the poor level design and UI. You need to introduce the gameplay elements slowly, and not just slam the player with a huge maze in the beginning.

Oh yea, I forgot to mention when You exit the game, the duration it stays on your Sell screen is to long. Try 2-3 sec. I think it was like 5sec+ on you game?

Sorry if I seem harsh, but I think your game has potential .

John

[edited by - z3lda on May 20, 2003 2:12:58 PM]
Yeah, that''s the kind of reviews that are really useful to read

I agree in almost all aspects you comment z3lda and I''m working on them. This is my first commercial project and I''m a bit lost in terms of ''gameplay'' and ''design''.

But the point is how to get more downloads of the demo... send it to shareware listing websites is the right way?? any other way??
Helius,

I''m not sure either . I''m still in the process of developing my own game and marketing is also a concern of mine. I plan to do what you did which is to hit all the major shareware sites. Besides that I will try to get listed on all major search engines. I will even go as far as using adwords on google.

If you didn''t submit to www.download.com yet, then maybe you should spend the money to get your game listed there. I hear great results from that, especially if your game become is reviewed and gets an editors pick.

How is the current sale of your game (if you dont mind me asking)? Are you getting at most 1% conversion from the 40 shareware site listings?

Oh yea, I noticed you demo is also 7mb. That is pretty hefty for a demo. That can be another reason if your sales are down, or low downloads. Since shareware games are mostly bought by casual gamers on low to medium spec systems.

In your GFX folder there is a TGA image fuente1.tga that is over 1mb in size. You should try reducing that. Also a couple of your graphics in the menu folder ranges from 200-500kb.

John
I don''t know what do you wanna mean with "at most 1% conversion".
I have sold 2 copies since May 6. Can you tell me some good shareware sites ?? (apart from cnet.com group)
Helius,

From reading this msg board and the one on dexterity a majority of shareware developers(Ones that acutally sell their games) feel that the average sell rate is 1 out of every 100 downloads, so that is a 1% conversion rate. So if you were keeping track of the downloads from your site you can find out the ratio.

Below are links to sites that list other shareware sites.

http://www.genesis-softwareonline.com/sharesites.htm

http://www.top10links.com/cat.php/Electronics%3AComputers%3ASoftware%3AShareware%3ADownloads

http://www.ehtml.com/shareware/

John

Your spanish version link doesn''t work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement