🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Casual Gamer RTS Game?

Started by
7 comments, last by falkone 21 years, 2 months ago
I was wondering the other day if there was such a thing as a real-time strategy game for casual gamers. Is it so small of a market that it''s not worth it, or do you think a budget publisher would take a chance on it?
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Advertisement
Age of Empires.
But didn''t Age of Empires have the Microsoft''s muscle behind it? I didn''t think of it as a game that targetted the ''casual'' crowd
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Starcraft. I was a casual Starcraft player forever. Finally became a non-casual player after a few years. It''s playable and winnable online even if you don''t play that often.
http://edropple.com
quote: Original post by falkone
But didn''t Age of Empires have the Microsoft''s muscle behind it? I didn''t think of it as a game that targetted the ''casual'' crowd

I think AoE went on to become one of the best-selling games of all time. I don''t think it could make that many sales just to hardcore gamers, although I may be wrong...
IIRC, its user-friendliness was one of its major selling points, and would have definitely made it more accessible to the casual gamer.
Well, i guess my real question is... is there a big enough market for a publisher that focuses on casual gamers to publish a RTS game?
Dexterity is publishing an RTS called Olympus: War of the Gods.
Ah, thank you, Ditto, that pretty much answered my question.
You may find this thread in interesting read as well. Dexterity seems to concure with the potential market of more strategic games for the "casual gamer". I put casual gamer in quotes, because they are actually pretty hard core gamers. Just hardcore about casual games.

More Casual or More Hardcore

[edited by - Ironside on May 19, 2003 4:45:11 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement