🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Small Thread: Naming a regional hierarchy

Started by
1 comment, last by Michalson 21 years, 1 month ago
Lets say we are trying to design/maybe make a management/civ kind of game (*cough*). We want to offer various views, zooming in closer and closer to the action. Lets take an example: World Continent Country Province Region City However we want to try and make this a little more generic, and more applicable to a randomly generated world (one that is expanded all the time). The world is grid based, and at each zoom level the grid cells are divided into smaller ones. Cells may or may not be occupied by a faction, and a faction may or may not have built a city in a grid cell. We''re looking for a set of labels that when placed together for a user would be intuitive as to their order (for instance region and province are not 100% clear, I actually put region first before switiching it) So, english language speakers and interface designers, what do you think?
Advertisement
In the States, region might be the equivalent of county. To me it seems obvious that it''s below province, but I don''t how other countries use that term.
Screw the backwards Americans. Put in a scale ruler, labeled in metric units.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement