🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

More 2D Articles, Please!

Started by
1 comment, last by Phantasm 24 years ago
I''ve noticed in the GDLounge a lot of posts lately by people getting annoyed with newbies asking for help creating the next Quake-killer. I''ve been reading through those threads (and posting to them) quite a bit lately, and it''s got me thinking. People seem to feel that newbies think they should be able to start out writing 3D games because they''re inexperianced and lack common sense. Yes, these are probably the main reason why so many newbie developers are looking way beyond their limits, but I feel that Gamedev.net is, inadvirtantly, adding to this. How? Well, I just spent a while browsing through articles and such on or referanced to by GDNet, and I feel there are far, far too few articles on creating simple 2D games. A newbie (I''m referring to those that are less experianced than even me...and I''m currently just designing my first game) looking through the referances can easily get the impression that 3D is the ONLY way to go, and, therefore, learning the basics (2D games), is useless. I''d just like to suggest that, if it can be helped, more articles be written on 2D game design, programming, art, etc. P h a n t a s m "Through dreams I control mankind." --Legend
Phantasm
Advertisement
Yes...I agree. I'm writing a top-down wargame, so I'd like to see more about DirectDraw, DirectInput, and so forth. There's already one about DirectPlay; very good; we need more like it.

Basically, I think everything here needs to be more...cohesive. In other words, we need to have more articles about *making games*, instead of just doing kewl effects. Who cares if you can code Direct3D in your sleep? Rotating cute little 3D objects is one thing; putting together a real, live, working *game* is something else entirely--believe me. What the whole thing comes down to is simply being able to write good, solid code.

An example of how things should be done is "Win32 Assembly". There's somebody who knows his stuff.

Edited by - David M. on June 8, 2000 7:45:56 PM

There is FAR more to game design than graphics. Heck, I''m working on multiplayer rpg right now, and the idea of making a server that can scale to 1000+ users, with worlds gig+ in size, is something that DirectX will not help you with at all. Not that I''m saying a load-balanced, multithreaded, server should be the next article. Hey, come to think of it, I may write one when I''m done ;>.

I would really like to see an article detailing inner workings of a game. Heck maybe even some kind "code critique" article/series going say the Quake source(since it was GPL''ed and is available). Preferably something not a FPS though(personal thing). Someone talking about programming the guts of game, not a tutorial about some API, nor a discussion of how to write tetris, but say a moderately complex game, and it ought to be something thats done, not a theoretical walk in the park(however there should be lots of theory in the article though), but about the issues you come across in a game, like say putting in scripting languages in a game(roll your own, integrate Perl, simple languages like Forth or C-like variants with higher level abstractions).

Maybe this sounds like _boring_ stuff since it doesn''t making flashing lights on the screen, but heck there IS a lot more to a game than pretty pictures.

Sorry about the rant, just one frustrated programmer coding too late at night.

And oh yes, I will put my money where my mouth is sometime, maybe this fall I''ll start writing some articles on these articles once I''ve explored the topic thoroughly enough to say something worthwhile.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement