🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Level editors for independent engines

Started by
-1 comments, last by Assassin 21 years, 2 months ago
Well, I''ve been working on a 3D engine for a while now, and it''s gotten to the point that we don''t have a reasonable method of making levels in our native data format, so I''ve been looking around at other level-making tools such as Q3Radiant and its brethren, Valve''s Hammer Editor, QuArK, etc. I''d rather make use of a tool that doesn''t cost tons of money to acquire (3DS Max, Maya, XSI, etc), but the game-specific tools all come with restrictions in their EULA saying things like "you may only create levels for Quake 3 with this tool" and since my engine is quite clearly not Quake 3, it seems I can''t use them. I''ve looked at QuArK, and it has support for Crystal Space and Torque, so it seems there is hope - all I need to do is make a custom importer or exporter. On a related note, how many people using OGRE, NeoEngine, and any others that have "Quake3 BSP loaders" are using Radiant or a similarly-restricted tool to create content, and how friendly will id be when these people start selling content created with their tools, without paying id their $500K in licensing fees?
Assassin, aka RedBeard. andyc.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement