🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do you know that if you write a software solution that it wont be a complete bust

Started by
4 comments, last by jen6677 21 years, 2 months ago
How do you know that if you write a software solution that it wont be a complete bust Heres a hypothetical scenerio... Let assume I think it would be highly useful for a videogame rental store to display thier inventory availabilty online (aswell as some other features). Assuming my team can develop the software how can I determine if anybody would actually buy it? I would really appreciate any input on the above question. I could always contact a few video rental stores and ask them thier opinion. Even if they think its a good idea, that doesnt mean it will translate into sales. HOw can I guage the real interest? THX [edited by - jen6677 on May 30, 2003 5:56:33 PM] [edited by - jen6677 on May 30, 2003 5:57:01 PM]
Advertisement
Determin if there is a need for your idea or is there already a similar alternative in place? If not, go for it and do it quick before someone else does!
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
Determin if there is a need for your idea or is there already a similar alternative in place? If not, go for it and do it quick before someone else does!

Yes, a better questions is:
How does one determine if there is a need for a idea?
Ah, look to see if there are similar services out there. If there are, and they''re doing well.. chances are that it''s sellable. If there is noone doing it, then either A) It''s such a bad idea or B) It''s such a radical idea... you have to decide whether you want to take the risk or not in this case.. if it''s B, you may do quite well.. but if it''s A, you may fail miserably. Good Luck
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
All it would take is a simple PHP and mySQL script to implement. The "problem" is keeping all the information up to date and getting it there in the first place. And of course, making it look pretty.

Blockbuster has it''s inventory on-line. Along with the inventory they also have a store and lots of movie info.

To demo your program I suggest testing it out with your movie/game collection.

Once someone likes it you''d want to get access to their database so it automatically updates availability info.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com

KalvinB - (to Jessika) do you accept Jesus as your lord and savior

Jessika - Sure I can accept all forms of payment.
quote: Original post by jen6677
I could always contact a few video rental stores and ask them thier opinion. Even if they think its a good idea, that doesnt mean it will translate into sales. HOw can I guage the real interest?
THX

You can''t is the answer. The best you can do is market research (yep talking to a few stores) to see if they think the idea is reasonable, if they would pay. One of the most important issues would be that the system works with or along side their current systems. If they have to dump a current system to use yours that raises the cost because their previous investment is dumped.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Game Development & Design consultant
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement