🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Vagrant Story Script

Started by
9 comments, last by sunandshadow 21 years ago
Hey, just stumbled across a link to a fan-transcription of the script for Vagrant Story HERE. Since I mentioned this game as an example of having a good story, I thought people might be interested in seeing the script.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
I bought that game a few weeks ago (because it was cheap). I might have to get round to playing it.
Um, it''s not the script. It''s jsut the dialogs typed out. If you haven''t played the game it''s pretty confusing.

I read the intros and the first bit after that (wine cellar) and several things jumped out at me.

*Some religious leader-type guy and his cult invade a duke''s manor and take his family and servants hostage. This is rather clearly criminal (or worse). Yet the local council members ponder the act in the context of religious freedom. wtf?

*Some of the dialog (a report?) is labelled with a specific time (5:38 am). The kind of thing you would see in an X-files show. But the setting appears to be medieval. These don''t fit together.

*Anyone who saw the dragon must be executed? Never mind that dragons fly, and are thus visible for quite a distance. Yet people know dragons exist (the knights in the wine cellar). So why do people need to be executed?

*The chain of command is confusing. The Riskbreakers report to the council (political leaders). Then there is a Cardinal (religious leader) with his own forces (knights). But the risk breakers expect the knights to report to them. Hmm?

quote:
Ashley: It seems the siege has begun... The Cardinal''s Blades have made their move.

Merlose: We''ve given no such order! Their actions are in direct defiance of our authority!

Ashley: Perhaps their hand was forced?

*The last line in the above seems grossly out of place. It''s a clumsy message to the player and it just doesn''t work. Likewise the earlier bit that introduces the Duke has some out of place exposition.

* There are some other strange bits of dialogue, possibly just a bad translation.

*There is great discussion on religious freedom, yet the town is centered around a single major religion? One with its own troops. This seems ... unusual.

Hopefully someone who has played the game can give a clearer assessment since there is obviously a lot missing from what was written down.

JSwing
Vagrant Story rocks

There''s another transcript at GameFAQs, http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/game/26065.html, it''s called Plot FAQ, so it might help a little

quote: Merlose: It''s far too dangerous! We must wait for reinforcements!
Ashley: Reinforcements?
(Ashley walks on towards the manor)
Ashley: I am the reinforcements.

Harharhar, Priceless!

quote: *Some of the dialog (a report?) is labelled with a specific time (5:38 am). The kind of thing you would see in an X-files show. But the setting appears to be medieval. These don''t fit together.

Hayhay, it''s a game. And why use some obscure time format when you can use one everyone understands

quote: *There is great discussion on religious freedom, yet the town is centered around a single major religion? One with its own troops. This seems ... unusual.

The town(Leá Monde, I assume?) doesn''t really have a religion anymore, as there are no living inhabitants.
quote: *There is great discussion on religious freedom, yet the town is centered around a single major religion? One with its own troops. This seems ... unusual.

The town(Leá Monde, I assume?) doesn't really have a religion anymore, as there are no living inhabitants.

LOTS OF SPOILERS...

I assume the anonymous poster is talking about the Cardinal and his Crimson Blades who are the troups of the kingdom's official religion - unnamed, but clearly some version of christianity from all the roods (crosses). Sydney Losstarot is the Rood Bearer, the marked avatar of Mullenkamp, and his cultists would be the reason for the speech about religious freedom, because the Cardinal has been trying to hunt them out of existence for years because they worship Mullenkamp the goddess of the Dark (originally a priestess who basically discovered/tamed magic, made herself the first Rood Bearer, and eventually deified herself), and they can do magic which lends an alarming (to the Cardinal) weight to the idea that their religion is real (they can do miracles). If the Cardinal's religion is some version of christianity, the Cultists' religion is like druidism.

Also as it turns out the Cardinal and his upper level officers (Romeo Guildenstern, Grissom, etc.) actually use the dark to do miracles themselves, as a secret-church-monopoly thing, and they're pissed off that the cultists are teaching their secret tricks to the masses. Thus the Cardinal had been using his religious military force the Crimson blades (think the French inquisition) to try to kill off the cultists.

But the Crimson Blades just aren't that buff, and under Sydney's charismatic leadership and the secret partisan support of Duke Bardoba (who is Sydney's father and (I'm guessing) the previous rood bearer) the cult has grown enough to be considered a military force in its own right, fomenting rebellion and inciting to riot and that sort of thing - that's why the Riskbreakers have been involved for the first time. The Riskbreakers are like the FBI, that's why the report has that location and timestamp - because the organization that made it is very similar to the one in the X-files despite the game's culture being rather 16th century. Keep in mind that the game is nominally set in France and the Cardinal here is a parallel for the villain Cardinal in _The Three Musketeers_ - Cardinal Richelou, IIRC.

So if the Crimson Blades are like a state militia and the Riskbreakers are like the FBI, when they do a joint mission together you can see why the Blades are supposed to follow the Riskbreakers' orders even if the two forces are not in the same chain of command.

[edited by - sunandshadow on June 13, 2003 11:58:49 AM]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Thanks for the link to the plot faq and the explanation of the setting. The story makes a lot more sense now.

I still haven''t read through the whole thing, but it seems ok for a video game. I stand by my criticism that there are quite a few places with clumsy exposition and characters who respond in a way that real people don''t.

From the intro:
quote:
V1: (Sydney) and his allies have taken the Duke''s family and servants hostage. They hold the manor as we speak.
Ash: To what purpose?
V1: The scum make two demands: the release of their imprisoned comrades and the abdication of Cardinal Batista.
Ash: Yet their religious freedom, within limits, is protected. On what pretext shall we apprehend them?

Ash''s last line doesn''t make sense. On what pretext shall we apprehend them? The guy just said they took a bunch of innocent civilians hostage and made demands. Isn''t that sufficient?

But the writers added that bit so they could have the next guy say:
quote:
V2: We need no pretext! Mullenkamp is a pack of rogues, hiding behind a priest''s frock. We believe them responsible for the attempt on our sovereign''s life this Yuletide past

The writers are just trying to cram in as much backstory as they can, and it''s not very smooth. I mean, they are committing a crime now. Today. The mention of previous crimes makes me wonder why they haven''t been arrested (and executed) already.

Another example, a few scenes later, hunting for Sydney.
quote:
-INDOORS-MINESHAFT-DAY-
(Ashley and Merlose examine some dead corpses; it appears they were from the Crimson Blades)
Mer: ...What''s this?
Ash: That''s what I''m here to find out. It does seem well fortified for a wine cellar...
Mer: Oh? Leà Monde''s wineries once vied with the best of Valendia. Since they went out of production, the remaining sell for a premium.

People just don''t talk this way. It jumps from two people investigating and having a conversation to one person lecturing. It''s jarring. Or maybe a bad translation, but still.

The timestamp thing:
The timestamp is used in modern police or military dramas to indicate suggest order and precision. It''s out of place in 16th century society. I don''t suggest using an obscure format for time, but a less precise one. Replace 2:32 AM with ''the dead of night'' and 5:32 am with ''dawn''. Or something similar.

Otherwise it sounds very interesting. I''ll take some time and read through the whole thing and post any other opinions, if you''re still interested.

JSwing
I agree with Anonymous Poster. Definitely not a script. Overdramaticized and lacking subtlety. Tries to hook the action too early without establishing even a semblance of setting or character. Definitely the result of underwriting by way of overenthusiasm. People will wait ten pages for a hook if your pace and duologue/action is approaching the conflict description, or problem exposition to use the vernacular.

Also, this is a classic case of not knowing when your story starts. Just that alone saves tons of talking head monologues or sentences that try to cram too much action into them forsaking dramatic build.

I would help a story that had promise, but this band aid I graciously admire Anonymous Poster for providing.

You realize you posted this on Friday the 13th?

Adventuredesign

You know, Socrates never told us that ''know thyself'' sometimes came by way of ''scare thyself''.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

When you play the actual game, there is a certain timing to each line. A couple obviously don''t work, like the whole Sydney speech, but take this one for example:

Ash: That''s what I''m here to find out. It does seem well fortified for a wine cellar...
Mer: Oh? Leà Monde''s wineries once vied with the best of Valendia. Since they went out of production, the remaining sell for a premium.

Theres a break between Ashley''s two lines, and Merlose''s lines come out slowly, meanwhile the two are moving about analyzing the area. The lines work because of the timing.

As for the two timestamp thing, they only do this during the intro while Agent Merlose and Agent Riot are there officially. Also, these timestamps are on reports that are (supposedley) being presented in the nation''s Parliament. If you read the instruction manual, they present the story like a report to the parliament, and mention ashley riot''s disappearing into Lea'' Monde as "a week ago." Once Ashley leaves the manor, the timestamps stop.
william bubel
I did played and enjoyed Vagrant Story and I think frankly I have never seen an interesting yet confusing story.

Sunandshadow's explanation makes a lot of sense. To me to has a certain parralelism with how our complicated society works. For example, in certain cheesy movies, you can see the FBI chasing a criminal, but then a local police is chasing the FBI agent, yet the FBI and the police are part of the definition of "good people", and the ciminal is part of the "bad people". Then *switch*, you discover that the criminal had a good reason to escape form the so-called FBI agent. He is actually an intelligent criminal working undercover and he tried to silence the so-called criminal because he had a proof to blow his cover. Maybe this was a bit complicated ^_^;; I apologize!

Then from there it can expand... Let the criminal blow the cover of the FBI agent.. He then discovers it was his brother he was supposed to seek eternally etc etc... Soap opera stuff

Back to Vagrant Story, I'd have to agree that the dialogs are pretty clumsy written, maybe a bit too fast written, and it shows with the amount of confuseness even after seeing the ending. The only thing I understood on my first play is that The Duke is Sydney's father (ho ho!) and Grissom (The crimson blades leader, blond hair with blond mustache, i think, who took the rood inverse for himself) is actually a bad guy. And Sydney was manipulated in the long run by everyone. :\ He's just trying to do his risk-breaking job :D

Good thing on the second run you still keep your awesome weapons :D Go 2 handed Katanaaaaaaa!!!! Total ownage

[edited by - Id0 on June 19, 2003 9:01:47 AM]
Actually Grissom is the one who gets turned into a zombie, the Crimson Blades'' leader who skinned Sydney is Romeo Guildenstern. (Also the one who murdered his girlfriend Samantha as a sacrifice.)

Now the question is, how does the dialoge about how Sydney must end the cursed Bardoba family fit with the fact that Joshua (silent little blond kid) is rescued and survives? Is Joshua really Sydney''s little brother, or is there some funky time warp going on and that''s the young Sydney? (Note that Sydney''s spirit self who talks to Merlose looks identical to Joshua.) I was really hoping that this would all be resolved by variant or new dialogue available in the game+, but no, there was nothing - I was very dissapointed.

So speaking of dialogue - since lots of people seem to find _Vagrant Story_''s dialogue awkward, though I rather liked it - what games have excellent dialogue? I''m playing Chrono Cross this week, and some of its dialogue was really witty, although some was lousy. My favorite:

Mushroom Guy - Hey, let me tell you what I found! I found this [insert descr. of funky mushroom and where it was found]. Don''t you envy me?

You - I envy you.

Mushroom Guy - I thought so, I thought so!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement