🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Got Reason 2.5?

Started by
11 comments, last by Andrew Russell 21 years ago
Woo. I am going to be ordering Reason 2.5 soon. To anyone who has version 2, you can download the 2.5 upgrade for free (new features: splitter/joiners for audio and CV signals, bigger and badder reverb and distortion units, a vocoder and some new half-rack effect box) Anyone already got it? Whaddaya think? I''ve only got version 1. What is the NN-XT like? That thing looks beasty. And that green thingo? What is that like?

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Cool Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | M&S | TA | LiT | H*R | 20Q ] Articles :: [ MUD Pies ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here | Google | MSDN | GDN Reference | OGL v D3D | Formats | Asking | Go FAQ yourself ]

Advertisement
NN-XT: Does everything the NN19 should have done: 16 outputs, auto pitch detection of imported samples, velocity and key crossfading, more LFO and modulation options, sample layering. Kontakt may be slightly better, but NN-XT is a close second.

Maelstrom: (The big green one!) Sounds incredible, completely unlike other software synths. Uses ''wave grain'' synthesis - a combination of wavetable + granular synthesis. Incredible for sustained evolving textures, also does decent basses, leads and FX.

Screamer: The new distortion unit - sounds a bit ''cheap'' to me. I''ve had the same complaint of ALL Propellerheads distortions algorithms since Rebirth. Then again, I haven''t really delved into it fully...

Unison: Combines an audio signal with 16 slightly detuned versions for instant phat-ness.

Vocoder: Other than dabbling with the obligatory ''Cylon'' voices I haven''t used this much, but it sounds good and can also be used as a multiband EQ.

Reverb: Considerably better than the previous (slightly amateurish) sounding reverb. Hopefully they''ll do something similar with the Compression in the next version.

Other than that, there are a few other minor changes: Improved EQ on the mixer, sends can now be pre- or post-fader, new tools for drawing lines + controller curves. STILL can''t automate time signature or tempo changes mid song, but I''ve stopped complaining about that since discovering the joy of Tracktion + ReWire.

Oh, and the new Orchestral sounds banks sound really good too!

I use reason 2.5 on an almost daily basis. I have it re-wired into cubase and use reason as a sound module. Yes it is definately well worth upgrading if you like V1.

I agree with almost everything colin said. I personally find the sequencing functions a little fiddly, so I use the sequencing functions of cubase, as Im so much more used to it. This also enables me to put plugins on individual channels in cubase, like dynamics processors and that. The compressor in Reason is terrible. Hopefully propellerhead software will sort this out in the next version. with a real nice channel strip or something.

I agree with Colin on time metres aswell. I often work in crazy time signatures, you just cant do complex changes in reason, another reason why I use cubase to do the sequencing.

NN-XT is infinately better that NN-19, but it still is not up to the features and controlability of something like Halion, which I also use. I cant speak for Kontakt. NN-XT can have velocity layers, but not switchable ones.

The whole reason package is extremely processor friendly. I have often used halion for something, then run out of processing power, so I configure exactly the same samples in NN-XT and it uses about half the CPU cycles!!

There are acouple of free programs for Reason2, one of them is reload which imports akai sample cds into NN-XT format. very useful.

The orkester sound bank is very good considering it is bundled free, obviously not anywhere near as good as some of the fancier orchestral sample packages. I have made a couple of tracks using it heavily and they came out fine.

oops sorry Colin, Ive just repeated almost everything you said!

wiggly-worm.com- Media Music Factory...
-
WOO!

I got it a while ago, but I am posting it now because I have been spending a long time playing with it.

NN-XT: Brillient. The default string patches are many, many times better than the NN-19 ones to start with. I wonder how excelent the (US$100) strings disk must be? I''ve moved a couple of NN-19s from my older stuff over and noticed good improvement. Considering I could probably do even better when I learn how to use it more effectivly. Velocity dependent samples are tops.

Malstrom: Sounds fantastic. Takes a lot of getting used to. I havn''t done anything particularly in it, but I have managed to make it create some really wonderful sounds just by fiddling. LFO CV outputs are useful too.

Spiders: So very useful! That feature should have been in from the start.

Reverb: Also sounds fantastic.

Distortion: Better than the old one, havn''t really used much distortion yet.

Unison: Nice effect, havn''t really used it much yet.

Vocoder: Sounds and works excelently, havn''t actualy found a real use for it though. EQ is probably going to be more useful than the vocoder itself.

Other improvements to the interface and other devices are good. There are a few problems with the interface that can be slightly annoying. Disconnected track window is not as useable as it could be.

Oh, and they have removed the easter-egg where the NN19 and Matrix played their intro animation. Although, you can unscrew the SubTractor, I don''t know if you could do that previously

Anyway, I am back to messing around with it.

Do not meddle in the affairs of moderators, for they are subtle and quick to anger. ANDREW RUSSELL STUDIOS
Links :: [ GD | TG | MS | NeHe | PA | SA | DS | RL | TA | LiT | H*R | 20Q ] Articles :: [ MUD Pies ]
Got Clue? :: [ Start Here! | Google | MSDN | GameDev.net Refrence | OGL v D3D | File Formats | Go FAQ yourself ]

is there some kind of law that says if you develop games you have to be in a time warp regarding music software?
neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net
What are you on about?

-------------------------------------------
wiggly-worm.com - Media Music Factory...
-
What is Reason?
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
Reason is a wicked sounding music production program, invented by propellerhead software (based in Sweden I think).

It is very innovative in a number of ways. It has loads of wicked synths, samples and loops all built into it. When you first look at it, it looks like its a dance music tool, but it is far more than that. I use it on about 90% of my compositions, and they include: funk, jazz, orchestral, industrial, ambient etc.

It is a genuinely useful music tool. It''s interface is a little quirky but powerful, and it interfaces very well with other music software through a special software interface called rewire.

-
sounds wicked! how''s its support for external keyboards?
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
You can use any kind of midi keyboard as a controller. But as far as keyboard sounds go, it just doesnt need them. The built in software sounds (expandable with refill files, millions of commercial and free ones on the net) are more than you will ever need.

-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement