🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MP3 Maker?

Started by
18 comments, last by WiseElben 21 years, 1 month ago
I know Sibelius is a Notation software, but it is in MIDI format. MIDI is very bad and fake sounding. Can anyone recommend me a software that creates MP3 music and Sound Effects? I want a software, not a Sampler, ect. I don''t want to spend money on a keyboard on anything. Thanks
Advertisement
Try cool edit. They have a nice demo. I don''t know of any open source sound effect software, but you could alway seach at sourcforge.
If you don''t want to work with MIDI or samplers, then you have to work with human beings. In that case, Sibelius is probably your best bet

Why don''t you give an example of the type of music you want to create so that we can tell you how it might be done?!
Perhaps something like this: http://darkage.mysticsoftware.net/DA2_preview.mp3

How about Sound Effects? Most of them are in WAV format right? What are some softwares that make sound effects?
Try CDex. As far as creating sound effects, use a wave file editor. There are lots out there. Then, if necessary, use a WAV-to-MP3 converter.
Correct me if I''m wrong, WiseElben, but I don''t believe the problem with realism lies within the MIDI format. I use MIDI for my notation, and the results can sometimes be very real sounding, but that''s because I use Gigastudio and high quality orchestral samples in addition to careful placement of the notes within the score. If I was after even more realism, I would save up and buy some even more expensive samples.

And the software that creates MP3 music is nothing more than a program that compresses WAV files, which in turn is nothing more than recordings, many of which come from recording MIDI such as in the MP3 you posted.
Thanks.

A friend of mine gave me his old ProAudio 9 to me. I tried to combine a MIDI file with a WAV file to a MP3. Is that possible?

And what is a looper? Like ACID Pro 4.
quote: I tried to combine a MIDI file with a WAV file to a MP3. Is that possible?

Not directly. A MIDI file simply contains musical info eg. 'play a C#. now stop the C# and play a D .... etc' It does not contain any audio data, so you cant mix them.

Thats why MIDI has a reputation for sounding crap, because the sound is dependant on the quality of the MIDI device playing it (and the skill of the person who made the MIDI file!!!). Consumer soundcard MIDI syths usually sound naff at best...

You could convert the MIDI file into a WAV file by simply recording it. Then you could mix them fine. There is tons of software (free) that will convert your mixed WAV to an mp3.

-------------------------------------------
wiggly-worm.com - Media Music Factory...

[edited by - wiggly-worm on June 22, 2003 12:58:23 PM]
-
MIDI = da bomb.
It''s the best file format for instrumental music..
Many of the problems with the MIDI format, such as its lack of expression, and its inability to render some of the effects possible on real instruments accurately (stringed instruments especially) are inherent limitations of the format. You can sometimes achieve reasonable approximations of some instruments, based on what MIDI device you''re playing the files on, and the samples used. If you want the absolute best quality for your score though, you''ll need to record real instruments in wave format, and then convert to mp3 later if necessary.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement