🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie Requesting Interface Suggestions.

Started by
5 comments, last by STVOY 24 years ago
Hi all I''m new to Game Dev only been here a week. I''m currently thinking of developing a 3d Shooter. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or tips on the coding for the interface. I learned Pascal for 6 months and Basic for 2. I have just started to learn C. I have already made two games. One is role playing Graphical adventure with a box environment for comabt. The other is a tetris style game , almost finished. I''m really into 3d Shooters so any info would be apprecieated. Also Whats the deal with the staus Initiate and so on. Thanx in Advance Mega Moh Mine!!
Advertisement
make sure you have a very good understanding of 3D programming before trying to make a shooter...
I amworking on a 3d engine at the moment. Take a step back and look at what you are getting in to. 3D stuff is much more complex than 2D. How much math have you had? I would recommend at least algebra 2 and a strong understanding of 3D geometry. Thats my 2 Cents.
InFerN0Not all who wander are lost...
Ya, I am writing one too. I''m about 1/3 done with it. I have the actual game engine about done though. I would start on something like a side-scroller or something, toi get you warmed up and to know what it takes to make a game.

JoeMont001@aol.com
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Hey, did you guys remeber to incorperate EARTH SHATTERING ORIGINALITY in your 3D shooters? Otherwise, you run the risk of being sucked into a void of obscurity and poverty, where nothing is cool! Sorry, I just had to.

This post was brought to you by the letter "Land", and the number "Fish!"
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Ya... Game engines, I hear,are a BIG thing to do.
How long it take to get a good engine with lets say... nice lighting and the works for a "casual" programmer.... I can''t say.

But maybe someelse can... hint hint :-)
Yah, I''d say start with a Side Scroller or a basic tiled overhead view type game. It help you understand the idea''s behind game developement, timing, Input, Sound, Networking (That''s a big one now a days, if you could network well, and then build a 3D shoot type game, you''d be two steps ahead of most people here.) Once you''ve got a game like that under your belt, you may want to start with a simple 3D demo, post again then and you''d be well on your way to some great games!!

See ya,
Ben

P.S. oh yah that initiate thing, is an attempt at showing someones age on gamedev... So from 1 to something like 20 or 25 posts your considered an initiate. When you get something like 26 to 100 posts your considered dedicated to the board. When you get 100 to something like 250 you become a zealot for this board, then I don''t even know them above this but I think there''s something in between here and 500 and then there''s avatar above that, and well who know if anyone''s got over 1500 posts, they''d be insane, but I''d obviously value there posts more than some who posts there first answer as a initiate... Oh yah and if your unregistered it''ll say that, some unregistered people or cool and offer great help, but often unregistered people or people don''t put in there UserName when they''re going to flame someone or say an obviously troublesome statement..
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement