🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

In-depth ego-shooter story

Started by
8 comments, last by Pityworm2 20 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I''m currently writing a game engine, using Direct3D 9. I want to make an ego-shooter, like Doom III, but with a in-depth story. My question is, is it good to write a big story, actually like a Monkey Island title or Diablo title, or build in just a story like: Monster are here, kill them all!
Advertisement
Well, if the game is primarily an action game, then you don''t want to interrupt the action unless absolutely necessary, which would mean that the plot should be as simple as possible while still giving the player a motivation to push forward. If it''s focused more on exploration and puzzle-solving, then by all means make the plot as interesting as you want.
Depends what you want. Deus Ex or Serious Sam. Both have there good points. Also something you might want to consider is maybe make a engine capable of just killing and then interweave story elements into it. Story capable elements like scripting take time to develop.

~Wave
You gotta have something to pull people in. Some people appraoch this by telling a really good tale and some do it with really "smart" AI. Also, other people take something in games and take it to the extreme (like extremely advanced graphics like Doom 3)

[edited by - SumDude on July 11, 2003 6:22:57 AM]
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Looking for video game music? Check out some of my samples at http://www.youtube.c...ser/cminortunes            

I'm currently looking to create music for a project, if you are interested e-mail me at cminortunes@gmail.com    

Please only message me for hobby projects, I am not looking to create music for anything serious.
Thanks for the input.

The background story is simple: After a fictive WW III the survivors founded the Earthleague, but this league broke up and five lords fight for the control of earth. You are a CyberWarrior, half human, half machine and have to fight for one of the houses. Later in the game you can switch sides to another house if you like. That''s the basic behind it.
Sounds cool. You could do either a simple plot or a complex one with that background, and it''ll make for fertile ground for sequels.
Well actually, the story begins with the wedding of two Lords, forming an alliance in order to destroy the other houses. The player is, as said before, a CyberWarrior, working for them.

I planned to create four great chapters with each ten levels, which are divided in episodes (like Unreal).

At some point of the game the player is being captured during a mission and can choose the side: he can play on the side of the Alliance or join the defender. The mission after that point are basically the same but of course are told from the point of the house.

I have heard (and seen) Doom III uses in-game cutscenes as well and I plan to make it this way too, with high-res videos, telling the main story, while the in-game cutscenes only telling small thing, like activating a trap or something like that.

The basic question is, is this to big for a shooter or is there some potential in this, for actually the raw script I have written has its hundred pages.
Sacrifice (strategy game, I suppose) featured a wizard choosing to serve one of five gods, all with different personality traits, with many opportunities to change devotions later in the game. There were missions basically along 5 different streams, and to get them all, you had to play the game at least 5 times. The missions were all so basically similar, though, that I had no desire to chase them all down. Sometimes I stayed away from one chain entirely because I didn''t have the right spells to get through it successfully.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
i think a shooter like doom with a good story smacks of a great idea. i like your idea about different clans and being a cyber soldier. the fact you can change loyalties adds depth to the game. to be honest i couldn''t get much out of the first doom because it lacked story elements. years later games like jedi knight outcast and return to castle wolfenstein show us a ego shooter can have pulse pounding action and a riveting plot. i say go for it!
Thanks for thre great input, folks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement