🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

is a plot really necessary?

Started by
7 comments, last by syn_apse 20 years, 11 months ago
or rather, is a single player campaign really necessary? i''m not talking about an exclusively MMORPG, but rather a normal RPG/RTS hybrid wherein your goals are personal, and campaigns or missions are taken up at your discretion, rather than imposed upon you (more like a multiplayer campaign). i am not adverse to having a MMORPG version of this game (in fact, i intend on it, if this ever reaches completion), but i don''t want it to be the only option. i just have trouble with the concept of having a mandatory storyline. for some background: this game takes place on earth about 300,000 years in the future after our civilization was wiped out by an extra-terrestrial impact. humans have repopulated the planet with retrofitted future societies popping up all over the globe in a manner consistent with our own history (there will be arabic cultures, roman cultures, mayan cultures, chinese cultures, etc., etc., all vying for power). these societies, however, have forgotten the past (history turned to religion, religion turned to legend, legend turned to myth, and the myth has largely been ignored since). the player''s character simply exists in this world and deals with conflicts as the player sees fit (if/when war comes you can join the fight or you can run and hide) basically, there is a plot, but your character is not an inherent part of it. will the game suffer as result?
ill find me a soapbox where i can shout it
Advertisement
I''ve said something close to this before and I''ll say it again, "only if the world blows up unexpectedly".
Background stories are great to have. They involve the player and show that you pay attention to detail. Gamers will have fun just exploring this world and finding out about it then adding greatly to the lifespan.
Cheers, comrade Kyle Evans,Artificial entertainment [Movie/Game Reviews]Contact: kyser3152@yahoo.com.au
I''d say that having some plot to your game is important, even if there''s not much and it''s very open-ended. If a player is dropped into a world with no direction, where there are no goals other than those the player makes themselves, then most players will relativley quickly get bored and stop playing; exploration is only interesting for so long.

Now, that being said, it sounds like you''ve got an interesting background for your game- while it would seem to lend itself to an MMORPG setting, I''d encourage you to at least come up with some minor storyline to motivate the player to explore your world. If the player has the option to get involved in a large, overarching plot, that may be good enough, so to speak- I just warn you that, given too long with no clear goal to work toward, the average player will probably get bored and quit.

- HC
Plot is basically essential to any game thats purpose is anything other then simple gameplay, even then many players will want a good plot.

If its a sports game is doesn''t need a plot.
If its sim then is doesn''t need a plot.
if its anything else it needs one.

People like a purpose for doing things and reasons to keep doing them. Fancy graphics will only hold someones interest for so long.

well, i do have a few campaigns thought out, and i will add more, but what i was referring to in this post was that i didn''t want something like, say, dungeon siege, wherein you play the entire game working towards some goal that the game designers think you should accomplish, and then when you win, that''s it, game over, big deal. stretch, yawn, go to sleep.

as such this game is not necessarily without a plot. there will always be things for your character to do, always conflicts emerging, always new places to explore (this game will take place over the entire planet), it is just that you don''t have to get involved if you don''t want to, and if you do, you can choose sides as you see fit. i want to make this game as realistic as possible, except with a "fantasy" setting (although i''m adverse to the term "fantasy" - it''s a little too disney-esque for my tastes).

anyways, i have a couple such campaigns, which i''ll discuss in a later post.
oops. that was me above.

does everyone else here have to constantly reeneter usernames and passwords with every post. i mean, the login/logout button currently says logout, so, logically, i must be logged in. whats the deal?
I think plot gives the player something else to watch unfold as they play, even if they aren't an integrated part of it.

Freespace 2 has a linear storyline, and you can't advance if you fail a mission. But in the meantime, you see your fleet suffer, command trying to resolve problems, pilots questioning the authority of the leaders (and others being faithful, some of which you develop a rapport with).

A plot is just another way to get involved. Personal progress is one way. Playing with others counts, too. A living, breathing story is another.

[edited by - Waverider on July 23, 2003 10:07:09 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
quote: Original post by Waverider
But in the meantime, you see your fleet suffer, command trying to resolve problems, pilots questioning the authority of the leaders (and others being faithful, some of which you develop a rapport with).

this is a good idea. i''ve thought of the implications of morale, loyalty and trust on groups of people, especially militias and similar organizations. i''m sure i will implement something like this.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement