🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The weak hero

Started by
23 comments, last by LtKicker 20 years, 10 months ago
This post is based on the three genres of characters and pointing out one that could be used to help produce a great game. Here are the three types as I see them: The Strong: This is the most used character genre in any game. These are the characters who affect the world in major ways though because of this they are usually the targets of attacks to bring them from their power. While most characters do not start this way they ussaully end in it. The Unseen: This character genre is the second most used character genre. The unseen has strength in its ability to hide and sneak up on its enemies. The problem with these people is that they must remain hidden because if they were shown they could put themselves in imminent danger. The Weak: This character genre is almost if not only used in the beginning of the game. The weak characters advantage is his weakness. A weak character is often overlooked and is able to make true friends more easily than other genre. This can make a weak character truly more powerful than any other character genre. I''d like to see a game where the hero is truly weak and stays that way through out the entire game. Do you think that be a neat idea? Comments anyone?
Advertisement
There was a series of books with a leper and a wedding ring. I can't remember the name.

I could barely get through the second book. When he was in a river trying to hold on to a floating branch, I almost wanted to close it and put it away. I wasn't enjoying what the story was being carried by. I think people enjoy having their involvement carried by a character with at least some strength.

Then again, there's the Bruce Willis type from Die Hard. Strong and capable, but an OMG attitude to keep him human.

[edited by - Waverider on July 29, 2003 1:45:08 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Do people without physical strength but plenty of cunning count as "The Weak"? if so, there are already plenty of games out there. If not, how does the main character.... you know....win?

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
The character genre "The Weak" relies on its friendships with other characters to win. Other genres such as the Strong and Unseen rely on their own abilities and powers rather than friends and are often attacked because of their strength. The Weak is almost never the focus of an attack because of weakness but with their friendships sometimes with characters more powerful then them they are able to accomplish their goals. The Weak''s strength is in their dependence on others.

An example of a Weak character is a servant or perhaps a child. These are good examples of weak cvharacters. Note: A character is still considered weak if he doesn''t rely on only his own strength even if he is a king.
I personally think that an interesting character should have both strengths and weaknesses, maybe it's even the same thing - a character trait helps them in some ways and hurts them in other ways. Moreover, I think that the way you get a dramatic character dynamic is by choosing characters who have complementary strengths and weaknesses: i.e. one is self-confident but ignorant, and the other is self-doubting but educated.

Oh, and those leper/wedding ring books are called the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, I believe. I didn't read them, I didn't think they looked interesting; my roommate read them and didn't particularly like them.

[edited by - sunandshadow on July 29, 2003 2:35:41 PM]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Yes, that''s it. Thanks. Now that I remember the title, I can forget about it again
quote: Original post by LtKicker
The character genre "The Weak" relies on its friendships with other characters to win.
If those friendships are deliberately formed and exploited, doesn't that make him "The Strong"? He is applying his talent of friendship, just as one might apply their talent of cunning or physical strength.

EDIT: and even if his friends came to him purely randomly, obviously he's using his talent of leadership to get his friends to help him.

[edited by - sneftel on July 29, 2003 2:57:28 PM]
The strong rely on themselves, the weak rely on friends, allies and more specifically god. Some of the ideas for this post came from the bible.

The strong will be humbled and the weak lifted up
They rely on friends, but in order for the game to be at all fun, they have to do work themselves in order for the game to be useful. Think about it: are they saying "Hey, guys, could you go defeat that evil overlord for me? He's going to destroy the world!" and then sitting back and relaxing (or, in the case of relying on God, replace "Hey, guys" with "O holy father"), or are they saying "Joe's in position; Frank, see if you can distract the guard!"?

RTS games are a good example of the latter; you have essentially no power yourself, but you direct friendly units to do stuff.

[edited by - sneftel on July 29, 2003 3:16:04 PM]
I''m not sure, but similar concepts may be found in Aristotle''s Poetics, which, to my understanding, talks about the fundamentals of story structure.

Is it any coincidence that we enjoy stories? And that some types of stories are generally not enjoyed?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement