🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

book review - By Force of Fantasy

Started by
-1 comments, last by sunandshadow 20 years, 11 months ago
Hey all! Just wanted to mention that I found a great book for writers: _By Force Of Fantasy: How We Make Our Lives_ by Ethel S. Person, M.D. This book goes along with others I have mentioned on the topic of personal mythology, which IMNSHO is really useful for charater design. This particular book basically describes many common fantasies that people have, and how the appeal of the fantasy can motivate someone to do wierd or dramatic or even self-destructive things in real life. Like there''s a part about power-fantasies as they apply to businessmen, political leaders, military personnel, and abusive people, all common game characters. There''s stuff about the fantasy of the suicide attempt, the self sacraficed for a greater cause, the alienated or dysphoric self, delusions of grandure, hero-worship, sado-masochistic boss/minion relationships... tons of stuff relevant to game character archetypes, and easy to find because there''s a nifty little index in the back. ^_^ So, check out this book if it sounds interesting.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement