🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Collision detection in multiplayer games

Started by
0 comments, last by ByteMe95 24 years ago
Hey. I''m creating a game with a group of friends. IT''s a simple 2D 640x480x16b mode game, and we''re trying to make it multiplayer using DPlay. Up until now we got DPlay to connect and both players show up and can fire bullets and move, it works fine. But I have a question about collision. Let''s say on my screen I fire a bullet at an enemy and it hits, but on the other screen because of lag or whatever other reason that could cause it the bullet I shot appears to have missed the enemy. How do would I have it set up so that situation doesn''t arise, and/or if it does are there any tricks I''m unaware about? btw, this is my first time using DPlay and it''s going better than I thought it would. I recommend "Inside DirectX" for anyone programming with DX, it''s really informative. Thanks
ByteMe95::~ByteMe95()My S(h)ite
Advertisement
Can you say "client-server" Set one machine up as the server that dictates when a collision takes place and passes it back to the client. Let the server pass messages to the client to keep the game in sync.

-BacksideSnap-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement