🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

physiognomy idea - need word

Started by
12 comments, last by sunandshadow 20 years, 10 months ago
Okay, I had an interesting idea for the worldbuilding of my current writing project. Perhaps you''ve heard of physiognomy - this is the antique idea that a person''s appearance is an expression of their soul; that you look like your personality. Obviously this has been discredited, but let''s imagine a dreamlike fantasy world where this is literally true, as you grow up you grow to have an appearance that reveals your personality; maybe agressive people are tall and muscular, nurturing people are plump and curvaceous, innocent people have big eyes, etc. So here''s where I need your help - what would you call a race or species of people that was like this? I was vaguely thinking something like veraformae (those with true shapes) but what would you suggest? Can we think of any that are metaphorical rather than just being constructed out of greek or latin roots? By metaphorical I mean something like ''soulmirrors'', but that doesn''t sound as dumb.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
physiognomes *muhahaaahaaaa*
Interesting task. Sometimes I like to take from the romantic languages or greek or latin for nicer sounding names.

Echo-umbras
Echo-shadows

Oh well, can''t think of anything off hand.
Wysiwygs.
quote: Original post by juuso
Wysiwygs.

*Boisterous Laugh*

That''s perfect.
LOL :D I like the Wysiwyg, very nordic sounding.

Personally I would maybe use something like Avatar. Maybe the Avati ("Ah-Va-Tee", plural noun)?
Shapelings ? (because of the shapeshifters a la D&D)
Simulacrum could become ... The Simulcri ? (you got to pronounce it Latin style if you want to make it sound nice : See-mool-cree)

I am sure there are other ways. Look up something different than Latin, Indian is a good language, Japanese too. Or maybe something even older like Babylonian (yes, there are dictionaries around )

Arion : Mmmh... are you by any chance a Wraith player ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
quote: Original post by ahw
Arion : Mmmh... are you by any chance a Wraith player ?

Had to look that one up, and the answer is no. :-)
veraformae - veramorphs is easier, but still greco-latin roots.

This idea reminds me of a David Byrne song where he starts with the idea that "you are what you eat" and combines it with stalking people in the grocery store in the hopes that by purchasing and consuming the same foods that they do you could become them. Hmm, I think commercials operate on this premise too...
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
quote: Original post by sunandshadow
Perhaps you''ve heard of physiognomy - this is the antique idea that a person''s appearance is an expression of their soul; that you look like your personality.

I believe Nietzsche subscribed to this school of thought. I also don''t think it''s entirely discredited as it is very true in some cases.
quote: Original post by sunandshadow
Obviously this has been discredited

I don''t see why would this be discredited when it''s (not the rule but) quite true.

I would call them physionoms.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement