🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MD2 Viewer

Started by
5 comments, last by Saqib 24 years ago
Hi, I just finished making a .md2 file loader but now the problem arises when I want to load two models at a time. If I try to load more than one model the program just does''nt display anything(blank screen) or gives an error. Please help me with this problem Saqib Akhtar
Advertisement
It''s *GOTTA* be something to do with the loading of two models!!
Thats all the info I can give cos I don''t know anything else... more details/source snippits required!!

Protozone
Well thanks for the interest but I got it working. Problem lay with how I was rotating the camera. Now I have a question which should not be hard. I have a 3d model of a Jet Fighter and i want to show jet trails or propulsion what is the best way i should show these?(In simple words how can I display jet trails?)
Well I don''t suppose that''s a simple question though.. B/c there''s plenty of ways to do it.. The simplest I can think of right off the tops of my head is a polygon textured with so called "jet trails", then I''d rotate it 90 degrees and draw it again.. Of course with proper blending.. You could then manipulate texture coordinates, polygon size etc.. to give the impression of movement.. I dunno.. It''s early..

good luck,

bosco()
--leader of the free world .. or something ..
Well tried that polygon thing(it sucks). I tried using a cone through glut but I cant seem to display the cone(i use glutSolidCone) when I have draw other things. It results in other objects getting blened or color changed but no cone visible.
I can think of at least two ways to handle this:

First, you could simply create a particle emitter object to act as a vapor trail. Simply attach it to the rear of the jet, and have the particles float upwards and slowly disappear.

Or, for a more sci-fi look, simply keep track of the players position, and for every change in orientation, create a new quad (oriented perpendicular to the jet''s up-vector, or however you want). The quads will be linked pretty much automatically. Look at Homeworld screenshots, or watch the bike races in Tron for what it looks like.
Doh, forgot the username/pass. :p
Creativity is a bloody nuisance and an evil curse that will see to it that you die from stress and alcohol abuse at a very early age, that you piss off all your friends, break appointments, show up late, and have this strange bohemian urge (you know that decadent laid-back pimp-style way of life). The truly creative people I know all live lousy lives, never have time to see you, don't take care of themselves properly, have weird tastes in women and behave badly. They don't wash and they eat disgusting stuff, they are mentally unstable and are absolutely brilliant. (k10k)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement