🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

animated models

Started by
3 comments, last by JimmyP 23 years, 12 months ago
Since I now have my 3ds object loader ready I was thinking if it would be possible to use not only the geometry data but the animation data as well.So how do animated models work.Let''s assume I have a walking man in a 3ds file cosisting of 30 frames.Do I create 30 displaylists containing each frame and then load them one after the other or is there a more efficient way to do it? -=Jimmy=-
-=Jimmy=-
Advertisement
I''m not really sure, but I think Q3 uses compiled vertex arrays for its animations...

Tim

--------------------------
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.glvelocity.com
Tim--------------------------glvelocity.gamedev.netwww.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity
The best way I guess is to cut your man into different models

Like you would cut an arm into 3 segments
- Back arm
- Front arm
- Hand

Then animate model by model
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)
theres 2 main ways

either u can store in your model "bones" which u can update and move (much better the model can do any animation but much more compluicated as well)
or u can do what most programs do as well and use key frames quake3 does this as well .
sorry just realised im answering the wrong question duhh!
yeah tcs is right q3 uses cvas. but if u wanna have the animation going smoothly when he walks youve gottta lerp betwwen keyframes (which means differnet vertices each time).
display lists are better for data that does not change
Or you could do it the way NeHe does his Dolphin Demo, create keyframes... ie. if its 30 frames per step make 3 models, 1 at the beginning, one at the middle, one at the end. then have a temp storage place where you take the average of two keyframes times a timer.... lol if that makes any sense at all =P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement