Advertisement

Mac vs. PC

Started by September 27, 2003 11:46 AM
11 comments, last by death adder 20 years, 11 months ago
Over the past few years I have got the impression many audio professionals despise PCs and worship Macs (i.e. http://www.nemesysmusic.com/pdf/giga-in-a-mac-world.pdf). I am sure there is a reason for this, and as a PC user, I was hoping someone could enlighten me. My reason behind asking this is because I am upgrading soon, and I''m trying to decide between Mac and PC. I''m much more used to PC and can get one cheaper, but... I don''t know anything about Macs, and if they''re that much better, maybe I should go that route? Thanks.
I don''t really know but from what I have seen Macs are better for the arts (music grahpics etc) and PC''s are better for home use, games, programming web surfing, etc
The Untitled RPG - |||||||||| 40%Free Music for your gamesOriginal post by capn_midnight 23yrold, is your ass burning from all the kissing it is recieving?
Advertisement
Mac vs. PC topic that I started.

That should give you some insight.

| Z Matrix Thread | | My Unfinished Page | | I need answers! | | Genaside presents: Hazard Ball | | Maddox |
thanks guys... I''ve read a little, and will continue to read Qa303asmGuru''s thread... however, I just wanted to mention that I am purely concerned with audio/music, and not at all concerned with anything else (games, home use, graphics)... I''m sticking with PC for the latter... Thanks!
quote: Original post by maxd gaming
I don't really know but from what I have seen Macs are better for the arts (music grahpics etc) and PC's are better for home use, games, programming web surfing, etc

for graphics at least, they used to be, but that isn't true anymore, mac is still more widely used for graphics simply because people just stick with it, but at this point, all the programs that made the mac so great for graphics (adobe) have been ported to the pc, and if you are familiar with the pc, I think you better just stick with it, because mac really is a pain in your ace if you are used to pc. the most anoying thing is that it only has one mouse button, and of course there's much less software for mac

My Site

[edited by - Quasar3D on September 27, 2003 2:29:38 PM]
General this is the deal:

After Ataris fall Macintosh was the platform who developed the best musicapplications.
Today it''s different. The titles that are interesting in a music and audio aspect can be found on both platforms (PC/MAC) with a few exceptions.
The reason why still many studiofolks are using Mac is that they think that Mac is more stable and I will agree to that cause there is not so many different hardware out there that must be compatible with everything. On the other hand PC-platform is taking over more and more studios out there because its a more cheaper solution for the same prestanda.
If you''re using much MIDI then PC is the winner but if you''re into Audio-recording Mac is more stable.
There are more plugins to be found for the pc and MUCH more exciting hardware ...

I say it depends on what you want in your studio.
I say if you keep your PC clean from other things and ONLY uses it as a studiocomp then there is the same stability in the PC... but hey... I''m a PC-guy myself :D
Advertisement
The realtime performance of the Mac OS X is much better than the windows versions. You can do a lot more realtime effects without dropouts etc which is the main reason pro people in audio/video use Macs.
If you intend to do audio for GAMES (otherwise, why post here?)things get a bit different. You''d generally want to test your audio stuff within the game engine and then the engine tools has to be available on the Mac which is pretty rare. I''d say you stick to PC if you''re in the game business or don''t do audio as a fulltime profession. If you are an audio professional then I am shire you already know from your competitors that Mac is the only way to go.
/ Bucko aka Backman
One thing you will hear about this argument of mac vs PC is ProTools. ProTools is industry standard, found in most recording studios and most pro engineers use ProTools.

In fact, proTools became so popular that Cakewalk totally ditched its interface and revamped it to look VERY like ProTools. Sonar is basically a PC clone of the Mac ProTools.

Ultimatley, in this age, it all comes down to the sytem usage. Will this Mac/PC be used for audio engineering/composing only? Or will it be a multi-function machine? If you''re looking for multi function, PCs just thend to be a lot more compatible, and you can always find compatible software for whatever you''re doing.

Macs, though, by nature of their operating system, especially OS X, are very stable. Youd really have to be doing something crazy to crash a mac, whereas a Windows-based system is about as stable as a house of cards in an earthquake. I cant begin to tell you how many projects ive lost, having spent hours on them due to Windows crashing. Ah, if only theyd make all these audio programs Linux compatible,
Thanks a lot guys. Actually, I''ve found both Windows 2000 and XP to be pretty stable, especially XP, and 98/95 fairly unstable... at least from my usage... but, I do notice that if I really get crazy with plug-ins and multi-tracking, I do get a lot of drop outs... I''m on a pIII 800Mhz right now... at any rate, thanks for all of your replies, I''m fairly confident in what step I will take next (which is, I might note, quite a different step then if I had a bunch of money to spend here)...
yeah, Im running win2k pro myself. by far the most compatible and stable of the Windows OS yet =)

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement