🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Works to get inspiration from?

Started by
20 comments, last by Origin2052 20 years, 8 months ago
quote:
Equilibrium

WHY DOES EVERYONE THINK THAT FILM''S THE BEES KNEES?!
*pants after outburst*
Its just an underdone and bland ripoff of 1984 and bits of Fahrenheit 451. >=(
Advertisement
The never ending story.

or listen to some songs like "Scarborough Fair." I have written notebooks full of stories listening to that song.

[edited by - chokki on October 21, 2003 3:25:57 PM]
Quote: Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
The Wheel of Time series is great. Ender''s game is also a good book. Both could be used as inspiration. Xenosaga could be an inspiring game. But only for it''s story, because it''s story is pretty much all that it has. Hey! Why not use the Bible for inspiration! Whether you beleive in it or not, it still has some good stories. I can''t think of a single TV show that I have ever watched for the story; I don''t think one exists. Wait a second! Maybe you could say 24...

Now for movies. I know it sounds geeky to say it, but: Star Wars. It influenced alot of movies that came after it and the story was kind of original. Any movie by Guy Ritchie. Alot of Stephen Spielberg movies for that matter. I am also very tempted to say Soylent Green as an inspirational movie...

--------------------------------------
I am the master of stories.....
If only I could just write them down...
I am the master of ideas.....If only I could write them down...
Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud really inspired me. Its a book (in comic form!) that examines as well as demonstrates the methods of that medium. In defining what a "comic" is, he really inspired me to ponder deeply about the nature of games and virtual worlds.

The book has a great deal of other great points as well; the sections on the ways shape and color can help induce moods and atmosphere was particularly brilliant.

The book on amazon...

Author's webpage

[edited by - SteevR on October 22, 2003 4:27:59 AM]

[edited by - SteevR on October 22, 2003 6:15:06 AM]
-Steven RokiskiMetatechnicality
Hmm there are so many books that I have been inspired by. Steinbeck''s books have been a major source of inspiration for me mainly to see how he writes but also that you can write about something in everyday life and still make it very interesting..

Another source for inspiration is of course Dune, some Tolkien books and well you got the classics of course like Robinson Crusoe and so on

As for movies hmm I don''t really know, there are a lot of good movies but few that actually have inspired me. Wall Street inspired me but not in a writing way though..

As for games I would say Command&Conquer from 1995. When it came out it really really inspired me. I drawed C&C, wrote C&C everything But I was just a kid then but anyway

Games that have inspired me recently is mainly those were you can do whatevery you like(be free if you will), I''m talking Operation Flashpoint, Sim City 4, The Sims, Grand Theft Auto 3 and a few others.

Don't you think it's a serious problem that ninety-five percent of the crowd around here (or within the game development community) take their inspiration from largely the same material?

I do.

The Wheel of Time? Tolkien? Ender's Game? Sun Tzu? The Matrix? If they haven't been mentioned yet, they will be.

I would suggest to pursue random and different things until you settle into a set of possibly disparate niches that you really can explore with depth. Some of those random and different things might be similar to:
  • The forensic medicine depicted in Patricia Cornwell's mysteries.
  • The creepy and quirky plots conjured up by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.
  • The excellent characterizations of homicide detectives in John Sandford's Prey series.
  • The wonderful and slightly paranormal situations that Repairman Jack finds himself in in F. Paul Wilson's series.
  • The well respected bibliographical works by Ramon Adams entitled The Rampaging Herd and Six-Guns and Saddle Leather .
  • The fantastically researched work by the classic historian J. Frank Dobie, including The Mustangs .
  • Secretariat.
  • Cunninghame Grahams now classic Horses of the Conquest , detailing how the horses of the Spanish Conquistadors gave them their victories.
  • Try walking at 14,000 feet above timberline.
  • Most of Galen Rowell's earlier works, including:
    • High and Wild
    • In the Throne Room of the Mountain Gods
    • Mountains of the Middle Kingdom
    • Mountain Light

• Beryl Markham's memoir: West With the Night .
  • Smoke Blanchard's memoir Walking Up and Down in the World .
  • Antoine De Saint Exupery's memoir Wind, Sand and Stars .
  • Thomas McGuane's two works full of essays: Some Horses and The Longest Silence . Also, read his An Outside Chance .
  • William Nack's My Turf: Horses, Boxers, Blood Money, and the Sporting Life . Where else are you going to learn about the sick notion of there being hitmen who take out horses? Also, read his short essay Pure Heart .
  • Dennis Lehane's gritty series featuring the PI duo beginning with A Drink Before the War . Before he wrote Mystic River (yes, the movie), he wrote that series.
  • John Darnton's two or three good books.
  • Paul Garrison's riveting maritime thrillers.
  • Mark Sullivan's excellent The Purification Ceremony .
  • Are you good at riding a horse? It usually takes about 500 hours in the saddle to begin to get the feel, that True Unity so to speak, as professed by Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt. You should be able to feel and be in rhythem with each footstep of the horse. Read Ray Hunt's Think Harmony With Horses .
  • Read In the Heart of the Sea and learn about the awful but true story which inspired Melville's whale.
  • Learn about Coronado and his Cities of Gold. You can read Dobie's Coronado's Children , or you could read Douglas Preston's Cities of Gold or you could read William's The Mysterious West , a Six-Guns book. This book also discusses the sinking of the Mollie Stevens and her load of eighty tons of silver into the Owens Lake, now dry. Speaking of Owens Lake, go to Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills. You've already seen the Alabama Hills countless times in movies.
  • Go to an aviation museum.
  • Go skin diving or snorkeling.
  • Read Clive Cussler.
  • Read Tess Gerritsen's medical thrillers.
  • Absolutely and most definitely read Robert McCammon's epic tale of a witch hunt in the Carolinas called Speaks the Nightbird .
  • While most of you have read Dan Simmons' science fiction, have you read his horror and general fiction? Do so now.
  • Study the Cowboy Artists of America.
  • Learn about the Lisp program called AARON. Also, learn about the Lisp program called SWALE. Certainly interesting. Roger Schank has a book called Tell me a Story and it discusses how our knowledge of stories is what really contributes to our knowledge, period.
  • Pick up a book on Gilcrease Museum.
  • Become a collector - of old things, not new.
  • Learn about Manzanar. It's just up the road from the Alabama Hills.
  • I'm turning around and looking at my library some more...
  • Read Jeff Long: Descent and Year Zero
  • Ever read Jack Vance?

[edited by - bishop_pass on October 26, 2003 12:56:36 AM]
  • Study the works in the Anshutz Collection, and read the book Painters and the American West .
  • Look at the sketches by Tom Lea and read his classic The Hands of Cantu .
  • Look at N. C. Wyeth's art, and the work of his contemporary, Frank Schoonover.
  • You may know of Jimmy Buffet as a musician, but did you know he's done some interesting writing about something else that he does a lot: flying sea planes and flying boats around the Carribean, namely a Grumman Albatross custom fitted with all the necessities.
  • What would it take to fly a Consolidated PBY across the North Pole? It's got a 3,000 mile range, those big radial Pratt and Whitney engines guzzling the aviation fuel and burning the oil like crazy...
  • Have you read David Brin's Glory Road ? How about his Earth ?
  • Concordia, Pakistan. Unbelievable.
  • The mountain cirque which sits at 12,000 feet below Third Needle, Day Needle, Keeler Needle, and Mount Whintey. Nothing but stark white granite rising vertically to the crest: totally silent, not a stir in the air, nobody for miles, no vegetation, a deep high altitude blue sky, kind of scary, lonely, isolated, a room with 2,000 foot walls, God's own throne room, and then an August afternoon thunderstorm rolls in, like Armageddon it is, crescendo upon crescendo, the explosive Fist of God hammering down on you, no mercy from the huge mountain world all around you, no escape, high and wild...
  • Watch a cutting competition. Quarter horses will charm and enchant you.
  • Talk to people.

[edited by - bishop_pass on October 27, 2003 1:30:42 AM]
  • And of course, Fred Hirschmann''s wonderful photo book entitled Bush Pilots of Alaska.
  • He also did a large format photography book entitled Rock Art of the American Southwest featuring petroglyphs, some rather beautiful and extravagent ones, not to mention somewhat hidden. The ancient ones in the Coso region near China Lake (just south of Owens Lake where the Mollie Stevens is) depict deer.
If i repeat something someone else said sorry, but im in a rush. I usually read all posts but I didn''t this time sorry. I''ll do it tomorrow.

Here is a list of stuff that inspires me, in brackets is the particular stuff.

Books:
Wheel of time (wolf deely, luck deely)
The nights dawn trilogy (all the technology, especially neuralnanics and star flight)

Films:
Equilibrium (Gun kata, but can''t see it being implemented, although it could work in a fighting game)

Comics:
Ghost in the shell (again the technology is awesome)
GO TO MY WEBSITE.GO NOW.Oh wait I''m not Jesse Custer. Real Life Sux.
quote: Original post by Kertap
Books:
Wheel of time
Sure. That seems reasonable, but common.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement