🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

uploading to the internet..

Started by
1 comment, last by drago 23 years, 11 months ago
I want to be able to upload/download the highscores to/from a .html file that''s located on the internet. Can anybody help me with this? I''m really lost on this one.. ---------- Mail me, Drago's OpenGL Website
osu!
Advertisement
Interesting problem... This is what I think:

Usually, when I get a free internet site, I always make sure I can access and update the site through FTP. Any FTP client will do and I can upload all my pages in one shot.

You _could_ use a simple FTP control like the one in MS''s WinINet library. Just connect to the site and upload your file. This will update it on the server and make it available on the WWW. To read the file, you can use the FTP control or just use your web browser.

That''s all fine if you are the one updating the site. But if you''re distributing a game or something, I''m sure you don''t want your WWW site login user/pass buried inside your program.. If that''s the case, then I would look into some sort of CGI (Perl) script on the host you can POST the high scores with.

Hope that helps..

// CHRIS

// CHRIS [win32mfc]
IMHO the best way to do this is have a db backend like mysql keep scores and player info, then write a server side client application that can accept connections from the game servers and record score data into the database. Then just use PHP or something to make the webpage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement