🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

mp3 playback

Started by
3 comments, last by R 23 years, 11 months ago
hi there, i wonder how i can implement the playback of a mp3 for background music in my game. i seen that some people use this bass.dll, but i really don''t know what to do with it. anyway, which programs can open a dll file?
Advertisement
If you don't want alot of fuss with implementing your own mp3 decoding algorithm, take my advice and use a prebuilt DLL - such as BASS. Download load it (http://www.un4seen.com/music/) and read the documentation that comes with it. If it isn't obvious to you what to do it then you might want to bother with more important things, such as reading a good book, before dealing with playing mp3s. Or you could take a look at freshmeat.net and download some source code and sort it out yourself. There is also a implementation from frauenhofer (something like that ) institue at wotsit.org - where there are also several documents on the topic.

"Paranoia is the belief in a hidden order behind the visible." - Anonymous

Edited by - Staffan on July 9, 2000 7:36:22 PM
I use FMOD, which is an excellent, and more importantly, free, library for playing all sorts of sound/music files. (mp3 wav s3m mod, etc...)

It is really quite easy to use, and it includes examples that don''t have all the bells and whistles that only serve to complicate the learning process...

Check out fmod.org
none of them are free if you plan on selling your game.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Is there a way to use the Windows Media player support to decode to a Direct Sound Buffer?

I''m pretty sure it could be done through DirectShow, but is it possible just using DirectSound routines?

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement