Advertisement

If you have the time, rate my music. Or just get some free music for your game! :-)

Started by October 26, 2003 10:42 PM
8 comments, last by Bombario 20 years, 10 months ago
www.diamondshadow.gnuk.net is the url to my page. Just follow the music link and voila. *hint* stuff closer to the top is newer and therefore better sounding in my opinion.
"Somebody should make a game about pirating video games. That would be interesting."~Chandler
You would greatly benefit from some theory classes. Your music has an interesting sound, but your changes are very chaotic (seemingly random), and the motion in your ''orchestral'' piece is very sloppy. Nothing ends or begins at a consistent time, and your phrasing is basically non-existant.

Really try to think about structure when you''re writing a piece of music, it makes it much more comprehensive to the listener, as opposed to sort of randomly colliding one thing that sounds neat with something else that sounds neat the minute the first gets boring.
Advertisement
It''s really not too bad. I don''t think it is supposed to be theory oriented music...it''s just experimental. I would use it for a game just because it''s interesting and unique. Pretty nice work in my opinion.

Brian J
Brian J
Hmm...... Like he said, very chaotic,

There is alot of good stuff in the music, but its in pieces, and some parts just sound horriably together. Also, the extros need to be worked on just a bit/
Thanks a ton for the criticism! My responses:

Anonymous Poster: I have taken theory classes. (I'm in my second year of high school classes on theory, but one also learns from other music, etc.)
I must admit that when I work with the keyboard and staff paper I do make things more organized; when I work with just software, it's all messing around usually.
I don't quite understand what you mean by 'phrasing'. I don't claim to be much of a composer at all, but if you mean how I organize things, I do try to put plenty of uniformity in there - I guess it shows how much skill I really have when a seemingly intelligent musician can't see it =P

PaulCesar: What do you mean by extros?

Edit: Anonymous Poster, would you suggest I work more with the staff paper and worry about sampling and rendering issues once I have the piece finished on paper?

[edited by - bombario on October 30, 2003 10:40:15 PM]
"Somebody should make a game about pirating video games. That would be interesting."~Chandler
I agree with Anonymous on the orchestral piece. Other than that it''s really good music.
Advertisement
by Extros i mean the parts the ends of the music, or the end of a particular "feeling" in the piece. IE, an extro would be the ending of a "slow" part, or the actual end of the piece.
In general it pretty damn good, however there are occasional moments where the mood/style just changes so much it just gets embarassingly bad (the All Your Base track suffers most at some point in the middle when the AYB sample kicks in for example).

Not being a musically inclined person i''m not sure what to recommend, but some more post-production tweeking and less radical changes in the middle of tracks would be a great improvement.
PaulCesar: MOST of these are meant to be simple background stuff, and are made to *gasp* loop. That''s why they just stop.

:-)

---
www.diamondshadow.gnuk.net
It''s my game dev "company"s site! Go there!
Sorry about the anonymous posting stuff, for some reason, Gamedev doesn''t want me to be able to log im this week. I''m the anonymous poster from before.

What I was referring to as far as phrasing is concerned is the break up of your piece into several independant ideas. I don''t have the time on here to give a complete explanation, but if you''ve got a theory textbook for your class, look up motives (motif''s), periods, double periods and the like and you''ll probably start to see what I mean.

(There are exceptions to what I''ve put below, I just wrote a VERY general overview to help give you some idea what the heck I''m talking about.)
In common practice era terms...once you''ve finished a cadence that wasn''t the end of the piece, you''ve started a new phrase. Phrases in nearly all western music are *usually* 8 measures long, and help create more comprehensive movement within a piece.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement