Advertisement

Asian sounds

Started by October 31, 2003 02:15 PM
7 comments, last by Ganryu 20 years, 10 months ago
After having watched a lot of anime i''ve started to feel really inspired. Inspired, not by the anime-styled music, but rather by the asian instruments... And this is where the problems are lying. What i''m looking for is instrument samples (either wave or kontakt/halion/akai). Specifically i''m looking for: *The characteristic choir "Ho!", which can be heard a lot in anime (especially Naruto and asian-themed series) and kabuki theater. It''s also frequently used in the Samurai Shodown series of fighting games. *A percussive instrument which appears frequently. It sounds like some kind of wood block or something, with VERY much tone in it. I''d really appreciate learning the name of this instrument as well. (it''s used in Tenchi Muyo to mark silence or a stopping movement) I prefer if the samples are royalty free, but it''s not necessary. I''d really appreciate any help with this, so thanks in advance
I suggest seeking out (And by seeking, I mean a google search) for FLAVA and the VoiceActingAlliance. Both are voice acting groups that do a lot of anime stuff and I reckon they could possibly help you with what you''re after, or direct you.
Advertisement
quote: Original post by SA-Magic
I suggest seeking out (And by seeking, I mean a google search) for FLAVA and the VoiceActingAlliance. Both are voice acting groups that do a lot of anime stuff and I reckon they could possibly help you with what you''re after, or direct you.

Thanks. I''ll check it out :D
Also, FYI, Asian music (or what one thinks of as Asian music) uses a lot of fourths to make that tense, cool, Asian sound. Hope this helps!

-iamunknown73 ^_^
quote: Original post by iamunknown73
Also, FYI, Asian music (or what one thinks of as Asian music) uses a lot of fourths to make that tense, cool, Asian sound. Hope this helps!

Sorry, man, but you lost me there. I''m really bad with english musical terms
What does "Fourths" mean?
Fourths == fjärdedels (takter)
Advertisement
iamunknown73 is just referring to a stereotype that Japanese, or any Eastern-Asian music for that matter, is best represented by intervals of fourths meaning:

C - F
D - G
E - A
Bb - Eb
etc.

...when in actuality it isn''t. It''s like saying "western" music is best represented by major and minor triads, which is what some might believe, but isn''t necessarily true.

Ganryu, I suggest looking up various traditional styles of Japanese music such as Gagaku (Court music), which might shed some light on the types of instruments, scales, and ornamentation that will help you to better simulate the sound you want.
quote: Original post by Sil
iamunknown73 is just referring to a stereotype that Japanese, or any Eastern-Asian music for that matter, is best represented by intervals of fourths meaning:

C - F
D - G
E - A
Bb - Eb
etc.

...when in actuality it isn''t. It''s like saying "western" music is best represented by major and minor triads, which is what some might believe, but isn''t necessarily true.

Ganryu, I suggest looking up various traditional styles of Japanese music such as Gagaku (Court music), which might shed some light on the types of instruments, scales, and ornamentation that will help you to better simulate the sound you want.

And thanks to the AP too
tough luck..

..the jap akai ftp site just closed down (to reopen privately or something) shame - slow as hell but great content.. at least a dozen asian instruments + several percussion sets nicely sampled..

minus is that the samples were ''detuned'' to foil freeloaders (either that or they''re sampled per sampling rate.. not in tune at any rate) so unless you can load the s5000/6000 maps, tuning is a bit of work.

what i''m saying is that if you can arrange for ~5 megs of site space, i can ftp the ones i snagged to you. should be less than that.
neither a follower nor a leader behttp://www.xoxos.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement