🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

To the guy who started the widescreen post and everyone else out there

Started by
2 comments, last by aDasTRa 23 years, 11 months ago
i just thought of something today at work. why do you want to make a game or a cutscene in wide screen? you would just be cutting away half of the space you have available to you. the whole reason there is widescreen movie in the first place is that theatres are different ratios than tvs, and the director must either cut the sides off the film or shrink the image to fit in the screen. this preserves the director''s original vision of the film. you dont see made for tv movies in widescreen, because it is being made for the format. you are just wasting screen space by making the scene letterbox. the only real reason for it is vanity then. and that is just shallow and lame <(o)>
<(o)>
Advertisement
Nope. Widescreen enables an entirely different directorial technique. It changes the way you focus and emphasize certain figures in the cinema. Also, letterboxing allows the player to know when they are in control and when they are not.

Urp.
Take a look at the cutscenes in Diablo 2.

Then you''ll know why widescreen is sometimes appropriate.
i see how using the widescreen format would help distingish between game and cutscene. i have used this in the past actually. i also agree that certain shots look better and are more affective in widescreen. from what i have seen though most realtime cutscenes do not take advantage of this. i have seen some excellent pre-rendered cinematics in ws, but i am not talking about those. i am talking about real time in game cutscenes.

deus ex is a good example of what i am talking about. i have only played the first bit of the demo, but the conversations that are in widescreen dont seem to work well. they seem too different from the regular game; the transition seems to ruff. homeworld (again, just the demo i played) had more affective cutscenes imo.

<(o)>
<(o)>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement