🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

a new way to design games

Started by
2 comments, last by draqza 23 years, 11 months ago
Maybe it''s not as new as I think it is, but I''m working on designing a driving/combat game that will basically be one of those games you play when you just want to blow stuff up, but it will have extra depth to it when you want to get more involved, and I decided the way I''m going to do design docs is to develop an initial version of the strategy guide, with weapon data, parts data, track maps, etc. I wondered if anyone else has tried this, either making a strategy guide or a walkthrough for RPG/adventure games that would flesh out the puzzles and ways to finish them.
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
Advertisement
A Skirmish mode along with an adventure one ?
It''s not the first time I hear of this and I already saw some games like that.
Interesting.
Really interesting, since sometime I''ll enjoy a short play.

I think I will include womething like that in my design, thanks

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
This is a great method for getting your arms around the complex design of an MMORPG. We have done our initial design by breaking the design up into components. As we discuss one we keep in mind the needs of another component, but focus on that component by defining a walkthrough, stats table, and other pertinent data to the problem. This is a part of Top-Down design and is not new to development. I also see an element of story boarding which is used extensively in Hollywood and in the production of single person RPGs. Be sure to always keep a solid focus on your overall goals lest you design yourself into a corner because you didn''t take into consideration a dependant component when designing a different component.

For instance Skills relate to combat and combat relates to skills. Designing one without doing the other is dangerous cause you might make design decisions that prohibit what you want to do in the other module. This being said it is still possible to design each of these seperate while being sensitive to the dependancy built into how these relate to eachother.

Kressilac
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
Be careful! Though this is a good way to flesh out puzzles (I do it myself, though I work in an entirely different genre), it can be a very bad idea if you plan on using nonlinearity (either in plotlines or in puzzle solutions).

------------------------------
Changing the future of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement